High Winds Blow Over 7 Semis in Tennessee River Bridge

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by SilverBulletBand, Oct 26, 2019.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Bud A. and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Tallahassee with an accent.

Like the song, but it seems more country than my usual listening.

201 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Paying attention to the weather is a huge part of the game. This one shouldn't have snuck up on anyone. It was a tropical storm and they had posted wind advisories for high profile vehicles traveling east west highways.
    I was in Nashville headed for Chicago that morning and leadfooted it out of there. It caught me in N Indiana that evening. I cracked the side vent of my sleeper open to get some fresh air and what little hair I have left was blowing laying in the bunk. Lol

Bud A., mjd4277 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Once had a hurricane where Im going with dispatch.

Already stuck with load on my 5th wheel. I was not going that way... so... burnt 15 hours in one day killing my recap and then sat. Needed to repower it. Let some other poor chump take it on through. I could care less as long I am not the only one going that way.

Oh dispatch raged. You have hours they said, you have good ontime record they said. What is the problem with you all of a sudden hunh? what? What? wtf? etc.

They made me sit 4 days. Thats ok I was running hard a while and used the time to play tourist with a rental car. Had such a blast.

Bud A., mjd4277 and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  6. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    Did everybody notice all the trucks snoozing on their side were equipped with trailer skirts. The law of unintended consequences always rears up.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  7. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    More surface area to push on ...

8. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    I've heard the skirts actually help because they keep some of the wind from getting underneath the trailer and lifting it. I'm not sure.

I just started pulling boxes a couple of weeks ago, running Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico. It's always windy here, and half my miles are deadhead. What I noticed is that every one of the trailers that were turned over had their tandems all the way forward.

Old hands have been telling me to put the tandems all the way back in the wind when empty. I can't figure out why I'd want less weight on the trailer tandems, but then again, all of these were all the way forward. It's a physics problem I wish someone would put to the test and videotape.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.