Highest paying jobs for for Cdl Grad

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dwb97, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Dwb97

Dwb97 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2019
    I live in north-eastern NC, am a recent cdl grad. I have tanker and hazmat and wanted suggestions for a tanker job in my area.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Best pay will come with experience after a year or two.

Coffey and bryan21384 Thank this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Superior may hire new cdl holders if you went to a school they approve.

Coffey and tscottme Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Pay takes care of itself with a few years time on the road. Bottom totem poles generally make something but not top pay for a while. This is one industry that waits to see if you are any good first. Meaning no accidents, damage, incidents, being late (Service failure) and problems talking back to office etc.

The good side is once you get at least a year or more in one employer you will end up sooner or later find a golden ticket to work almost anywhere in the USA.

Keep in mind they paid 0.34 40 years ago. And they are still paying that today which is less than what people should be making entry level.

Coffey, BigDog Trucker and bryan21384 Thank this.
  6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I saw on a post somewhere where one guy was making about 40 cpm to start at Ozark out of Memphis, TN. See if they hire grads, but yeah lacking experience won't get you big bucks for at least a year. Some people get lucky, but majority don't. If you dont mind flatbed, you could call Builders Transportation in Memphis too. Its whole bunch of companies that don't aggressively advertise for drivers that will hire students. Check on this site right here. You'll be surprised what you can find in the jobs section

7. Dwb97

Dwb97 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2019
    Went to shippers choice of Virginia. I don't know if it's one superior's approved schools. I wanted best pay starting out.

8. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
    Trainer at Swifty

Coffey Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Superior-Carriers
    Tidewater Transit
    Atlantic Bulk Carriers
    SVTN - www.svtn.com
    Groendyke Transport
    Bulkmatic
    Apply, even if you don't think they'll hire you.

BigDog Trucker Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Depending on the town you're near; there's a few union jobs in NC.

Coffey Thanks this.
  11. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    Can vouch for Superior and Tidewater as tanker companies that hire new grads if you went to an approved school. I'll be finishing my CDL class in the next two weeks and have set up interviews w/ both once I get everything completed. I also sent an application to SVTN and they e-mailed me back saying they've changed their requirements to one year of tractor-trailer experience for new drivers. I got the impression though that this is something that periodically changes w/ need at SVTN so if freight picks up after the first of the year SVTN may start taking on new grads again so it may be worth it to send them an app now and keep them in mind to check back w/ in a month or two.

For the O/P some things to keep in mind if your looking to make at least above average pay as a new driver, based on the research I've been doing over the last 6 months or so, tankers and flatbed seems to be a bit above average of what you'll see for most starting dry van and reefer driving. Tankers seem to be less labor intensive on pickups and delivery ( though you might have to wear the hazmat suit in hot weather at some point ) than flatbed but if you like getting a workout and / or more work outside flatbed might be your ticket.

Of course give yourself the best opportunities to succeed by adding endorsements to your license for tanker + hazmat and doubles / triples as well as getting a TWIC card and passport which can lead to more opportunities.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.