Highest paying LTL trucking company

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by KullenTrucking, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Let me just say, to clarify specifically here at UPSF:

Many drivers DO make $2K-$2500K. A lot depends on yes, seniority, but also terminal, luck, how you run etc.

When i run when we are busy, i really RUN. But i tend to run lighter than most drivers here; i could work most fridays, but don't because i feel rest is more important than $$$. So my pay is actually, i think, on the lower than average side here at the company.

i would not go into the game EXPECTING 100K per year. At the same token, if you are lucky and seek it out, i think there's a good chance you CAN get it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Wait wait wait, are you on a 4 day work bid?

jmz and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  4. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    5 day----Sun thru Thurs.

A lot of hubs have switched to Sun-thurs operations. i guess i did not indicate that in the other diary thread.

jmz and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
  6. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Plenty of people have quit good-paying jobs because they got tired of it. I quit ABF after 5 years because I was just DONE with it.

7. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Two years experience required, but yes. Absolutely life-changing money, and really cool terminal staff with good senses of humor. Honestly a fun place to work.

I'm sure the teams work hard, but all drop and hook. Keep it moving. Go go go. UPS moves stuff fast. Teams move stuff faster than fast.

8. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    100% accurate. Cut and paste that if you want to sound educated. He nailed it. Lol

9. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

Lot of times at big E they will keep a schedule home at places and push freight on extraboard guys. Luck is it at most places. But you certainly can get screwed on the board as well. I'd rather have a schedule than be on the board. I'm at small terminal so dudes dont quit. Die or retire is only way in coming off unless i wanna relocate.

FlaSwampRat, McUzi and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  10. GhentSaintPeters

GhentSaintPeters Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Man, thank you guys for replying to me. I never knew opportunities like this existed when I first decided to go this route. I have quite a bit more questions and if anybody would be so kind as to answer them, I would appreciate it very much:

So LTLAnnonymous, two years experience for LTL both teams and solo, that's what's required at most places, right?

And what another poster said, $1700-$2200 gross per week doing solo starting out is about the average starting weekly pay for solo LTL drivers, right?

Question - From what another poster said, something like "teams only get one 34 hour reset per week" - is that right? What is the hometime like for drivers who want to stay OTR, because I'm assuming you could make more money if you stayed out OTR, right?

What about vacation time - 1 week after a year, 2 weeks after 2, 3 after 5, 4 after 10, or something like that?

Lastly - Chinatown mentioned in another part of this forum about working for temp agencies, so that one could take time off when they wanted to (even for a few months at a time straight) and work when they wanted to - With the good thing being that it wouldn't show you as a job hopper because you would technically be employed the whole time at the temp
    Agency whether you took off a month or two or not.

That being said - Right now I have 6 months solo experience and 7 months if you include my training period. I've been doing dry van and reefer OTR nationally. For that 2 years experience that most LTL companies want, what if I went the temp route for my 2nd year - Would LTL companies still consider my time with the temp agency experience or no?

Again thanks fellas for all the help, great thread that I've learned a lot from!!!

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Two years experience minimum for all UPS feeder (tractor-trailer) jobs, yes.

$1700-2200 STARTING OUT? Uhhh...well, I think that's high. Even with the new $30 per hour starting rate, you're at the bottom of the board on solo work, so...you might only work three days a week. But making $300 per day worked to start is HIGHLY probable.

Now teams, teams are different. Teams are in high demand and very well-paid. You'll be off 30-day probation in 30 work days, no doubt. Might even start out making more money than I do at the moment, but...I'm okay with that. I'm a homebody. Lol

Regarding 34-hour restarts and teams: most...not all...but most teams work 4 days per week and make more money than I do in 5. So...there's not a lot of demand for 34-hour restarts when you're off 3 days a week. Run like a banshee for 4 days and go to your lakehouse on Friday? Lol

The team that person was talking about is probably a special situation. One that is extremely high-income, even for teams.

Feeder is feeder. There is no true "OTR" other than teams. You're home every day.

Vacation is different in the different regions. I got two to start, got a third week after two years, and then I THINK (not sure) I get a fourth week after five years. It's quite a bit of time off. No complaints.

As for temp agency employment... I think they would want to verify that you are working steadily through the months. They mostly just want to gauge your level of experience, and make sure you can drive a truck.

Hopefully this has helped.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Reason for edit: An s.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.