Highway 89 in Garden City, UT claims another fool.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Cattleman84, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Soltaker

Soltaker Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Deer Park, WI
    Are there any traffic cams at this intersection? If not there should be:happy1:

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Wow that's rough.. Not even that big of a hill. Been up and down it a couple times. Always thought it was sketchy coming off the mountain right into town and always wondered if anybody ever crashed and burned into someone's house. Guess it wasn't a crazy thought after all.

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    There used to be a sporting good store directly across from 89.... It got wiped out a few years back, promptly followed by another one laying over on the curb. That's what prompted the fancy runaway ramp. And yet they keep happening.

5. krupa530

krupa530 Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Orem, UT
    Supposedly they put the ramp too far up the hill. Once they realize they’re screwed they’ve already passed the run a way ramp.

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Lol... The ramp is #### near on the flat, and WAY past the worst of the hill. I would think they would realize they were screwed long before the got to the ramp... Its only a very slight grade for another 1/2 mile to a mile or so, a curve and then a ways to the stop at a tee intersection.

Problem is these guys ride thier brakes ALL THE WAY DOWN... Because they dont know how to handle a truck, are in automatics and dont have to think about gearing down. Id be willing to bet that the number of runaway accidents started to spike about the same time as auto truck and GPS usage.

7. Thrasher28

Thrasher28 Heavy Load Member

Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    It’s a pretty big hill, but after he realized how steep the climb up from Logan Canyon was, I’m surprised he was willing to go any faster than 25 down the other side. I reckon he’s now a believer in the ‘go down the same speed you came up’ approach.
    04CE1D98-BEF5-483B-AAE2-901CDE187ED4.jpeg

bryan21384, mjd4277, tscottme and 3 others Thank this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I drove that route all the time. I used it to get from Logan, UT up to I-80 by Little America without having to go through SLC. And the road down into Garden City is a seat cushion sucker for sure. The truck speed limit is 35mph and it curves coming down the hill a lot. and the runaway truck ramp uses a cable catchment system instead of the typical long deep sand technique. If you overheat your breaks I always though you would wind up in Bear Lake because that is exactly where you are pointed coming down the hill with a dense ring of vacation homes between the road and the lake.

I wonder if this driver was speeding before his brakes overheated. It's tempting to start down at 55 mph instead of the truck speed limit. Personally, if traffic is blocking the runaway ramp I'm hitting that traffic on my way to the ramp. At least the people in that crash deserved to be run over.

bryan21384 and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  9. tscottme

Every foot farther down the hill the real estate gets more expensive and closer to Bear Lake. I suspect the ramp position is politically viable more than optimally placed. That city is where I would retire today if I could. It's small, not well known, and as beautiful as almost any non-resort place in The West. There are also often sheep occupying the road in large numbers.

10. tscottme

I got more nervous coming down that hill than I did coming down Cabbage Hill in OR. This hill sneaks up on you. Lord help anyone with an automatic and no jake, even if they don't speed.

silverspur and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.