Hiner Transport, Huntington IN

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Noel95, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Noel95

Noel95 Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Indiana
    I've seen two other threads about Hiner and there does not seem to be much info or experience out there with them.

Here's what they are offering for someone with no experience or training:

CDL Training at their facility. They pay you $325 (gross) per week for the first 8 weeks. They provide $15 per diem during weeks 3-8 while you're in your road training. After week 8, you're solo earning 30 cpm plus all applicable bonuses, etc. Sounds like a good deal, especially getting paid while earning your CDL.

Here's some questions I sent to the recruiter:

I am a husband and father of three. So, an important issue for me is job security along with financial security. The website states $325 per week during training and that lasts approx 8 weeks. Then, you begin earning mileage operating your own vehicle at 30 cpm. At that stage, what is the average weekly miles for a new driver?

Typically trainees average 2200- 2500 miles per week......based upon .30 cpm that would put your average gross in the $650-750 range........I cannot accurately predict take home income, as taxes, etc are based upon your personal situation..........not included in this number is bonus earnings........we pay 1 cpm monthly for on-time service, we pay a fuel economy bonus based upon the mpg you achieve in your own truck, and we pay a 1 cpm safety bonus...........so doing your job you are typically in a position to earn 2-3 cpm in bonus pay above that base rate...we believe the average training graduate will gross between $35,000 and $40,000 for their first year............also after the first year of service your base pay rate increases to .33 cpm.....with a scheduled raise of ½ cent per mile twice a year subject to meeting mileage standard.....

How long can a driver expect to be out and how long can a driver expect to be home?

Drivers are typically gone 5-6 consecutive days.......most leave on Sunday.....actual departure time is dependant upon where the load is going and the customer's expectation of delivery time.....normally when you return from the work week........your time at home is in the 40-45 hour range...... drivers are expected to have transportation to and from the terminal..........trucks are not to be driven as personal commuting vehicles....we have a secure drive's parking lot for your POV.....

Are there any type of advancement opportunities? Or after a time is there a dedicated route or more local route for experienced drivers.

Dedicated runs are offered upon a seniority and safety basis, taking into consideration where a driver lives........at Hiner there are currently no runs with openings, and our waiting list is taking multiple years to reach the peak.......we have no local positions......

The site lists benefits such as health and dental. Are these for families, too?

Benefits are available to the employee and their family after completing 90 days as a solo driver.........training time does not count to the waiting period.......you can elect coverage for yourself, family.....the vision, dental, and major medical coverage are on a ala carte basis....for all plans [ med/vision/dental] for a family the cost would be about $100. per wk......

The rider policy, what ages are allowed?

As a training graduate you must complete 6 months of accident free driving to become eligible to take a rider...............generally the minimum age for a passenger is 8 yrs old.........there is a $25. per month fee for the insurance coverage on the rider

Any NYC, Chicago, or other larger cities?

We operate in the major markets..........driver's have the option to decline to take loads into NYC [ only].....for recent training grads we attempt to limit their exposure to major markets for their first 90 days of solo operation, however we must continue to service our customers so we treat this on a case by case basis..........

So, what do you all think? Too good to be true? There is no charge for the CDL training as long as you stay 1 year. If you leave it is pro-rated at $4,000.

I have also looked at Roehl as I like their 7/7 and 14/7 Hometime Plus program.

Hiner's headquarters and training location are only about 30 minutes away from me, maybe an hour.

Thanks all!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.