Hit once again while parked in a reserved parking spot

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by femalecdla, Dec 20, 2021.

1. femalecdla

femalecdla Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2018
    upload_2021-12-20_22-50-58.jpeg

upload_2021-12-20_22-51-30.jpeg

This makes the 4th hit. Right before Christmas holiday. At the Raphine, VA Petro. There were 2 spots to my right. No need for truck to be right up next to me. About 50 spaces in the back. I just lost a $4,000 load and G-D knows how much in lost revenue.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why my truck is a destruction magnet. I can park all the way in the back all by myself and someone will seek out my truck and have to park right up next to me. Trust me, I’ve tried it.

If I arrive at the truck stop and it’s wide open, I don’t seek out a truck that is parked alone by it self in a corner. If there are 5 spaces between each truck, I try to park in the middle. The only time I’m going to try to squeeze next to another truck is if it’s the only parking spot open. Even then, if I am tired, I don’t even try. I rather keep driving for a better truck stop that is less crowed than risk hitting another truck or object.

The last time this happened, just 3 months ago, the total damage was $7,000. This time, it looks like $10,000. I have security cameras and the driver didn’t try to flee. He apologized and provided his information. I’m grateful for that. I’m under a load now so I’m grateful that my truck can make the delivery and I can get it to the shop. I’m praying that they can get it all repaired by next week before the new year.

Drivers please be careful. GOAL even if you think you have it. If you don’t want to GOAL, get cameras installed on all 4 sides of the truck and trailer so you can see where your trailer is at all times.

This accident could have been prevented if the driver just GOAL or had cameras to see his angle was off.

I can’t get angry anymore because I’m beginning to think that this all apart of being a motor carrier. Drivers will hit things and cause damage. I just have to learn to prepare my company for these kinds of mishaps.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Man that just sucks. I am the same way always park away from everyone. Had been hit one time but was min and the guy took off. Now I am dealing with tow Company that killed my Transmission.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    That stinks. I park there all the time and generally come in late. Never hit anyone or been hit. Hang in there, driver, you're just going through a bad stretch.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Doesn't matter what you drive or where you are, someone will park next to you.

6. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    This is one of my biggest fears when I buy my truck next year. It seems to be a new trend in this generation of trucking oppose back in the early 2000's and late 90's I didn't see this happen as much. I sometime wonder if its better to just drive into a spot to protect your truck? Either way they will hit the trailer causing unnecessary damage on that.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  7. Ikamob01

Ikamob01 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2021
    I really hate truck stops. they don't have cameras.

shooter19802003 and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  8. tallguy66

tallguy66 Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2018
    I always thought it’s better to park next to someone just due to the fact that it makes it easier for the next guy leaving the blind side open

SL3406, gentleroger, 77fib77 and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

This is truth.

Happens to me and the wife in the personal vehicle all the time!

We laugh about it but it does get a bit frustrating. I've parked clear in the middle of nowhere in a parking lot, come out, and have 3 or 4 cars parked next to me. Maybe they think there is safety in numbers and nobody will bother them if they park next to another.

Sirscrapntruckalot - The bathroom equivalent of the parking thing..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  10. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    So sorry this has happened to you, again.

Are there not other places to park, away from truck stops?

I would do almost anything to not park at a truck stop.

Hope the repairs go as well as they can.

Merry Christmas!

bryan21384 and RubyEagle Thank this.
  11. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    I park next to people and wait for the other side to fill up. You need your sides covered. Avoid the 11 pm backer. When the TS is a cluster UK.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.