Hoge Motor Co. Unbelievable!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by PanteraUSMC, Aug 18, 2012.

1. PanteraUSMC

PanteraUSMC Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Liverpool NY
    I want to share with everyone what an unbelievable experience I have had at HOGE MOTOR CO.
    I have been driving since '93 and have been running Reefer and Dry Vans ever since. In June the company I was running for, Lily Dedicated logistics, (i have posted about this company in the BAD section) when they suddenly pulled the contract they were under with the customer I was running for. I had 12 days to find a new job. My wife suggested I try something new and go with flat beds or something similar. Taking her advice, I began searching and a friend told me to check out Hoge. He heard good things about them, so I called. Yeah, I had apps out to other companies as I was in a big hurry. After spending about 2 hours on the phone with Lisa at Hoge, I was blown away by the hospitality and blunt honesty that Lisa conveyed to me. After the application process (which took less than a week) and a few more calls to Lisa for additional questions, I was approved. They had a ton of loads coming out of Oswego NY which is right up the road from me. (Syracuse NY) Thus allwoing me to get home weekends and leaving out Monday late morning. Even my wife, who can't stand the trucking industry, was hooked. After a VERY LONG bus ride from Syracuse to Nashville, (which is really the ONLY bad thing that has happened so far) I walked out of the terminal and was greeted by Tommy Hoge; yeah, the owner of Hoge. After the drug test I arrived at the Hoge terminal in Springfield TN. From the moment I was picked up at the bus terminal through the 3 days in orientation I was treated like family. Hoge is a small covered wagon company. About 44 trucks. I was put up in a hotel of course (nice one, even has a swimming pool) and the three days of orientation (which is actually only 2 after a half day on Monday and a half day on Weds) were easy. Videos the first 2 days and the third day is one on one with Lisa and Tommy Hoge. Then I met the Payroll clerk and the shop personnel. While I was in orientation, ( i was the only one ) the shop was going through my soon to be assigned truck and trailer. ( you dont drop and hook hardly ever. and if you do to help cover a load, you get your trailer back after you deliver) Once they received my drug test results I was ready to go. Moved all my stuff into my truck and off I go. I have been with them now for 2 months now and could not be happier. I am home Friday afternoon and leave out Monday late morning. My run is pretty much the same every week. Below is a list of everything about Hoge.
    1. you are assigned a Peterbilt 379 with a CAT 475 or bigger. Ravens trailer (covered wagon) 45' or 48' split axle. Sleeper is 68 or 73"
    2. There are only 2 dispatchers and you are assigned a company phone to communicate with anyone in the company including other drivers.
    3. Pay is PERCENTAGE so you plan your own routes. Even your paystubs show you what Hoge was paid and what you were paid. 23% for normal company loads, and 25% for broker loads.
    4. Fuel Bonus
    5. $1000 sign on bonus
    6. $1000 referral bonus
    7. year end safety bonus
    8. APU's
    9. Tractors governed at 70mph
    10. True OPEN DOOR policy.
    So many other qualities to mention about Hoge I cant list them all. I know this sounds like a recruitment ad, but it's not. I wanted to let everyone know that good, down to earth no BS companies are out there. Hoge is simply the best company I have worked for in almost 20 years of driving. Quick story - I was upgraded to a newer tractor already last week. I moved into my new truck and took off to get loaded. I loaded up and ran to the Petro in Glendale KY to fuel up. About 2 hours from Springfeild. Once I was ready to fuel, I realized I left my wallet with my lic, med card, and fuel card in it, in my old tractor. Of all things to leave behind! I called the on call dispatch and told him what happened. He said he would call me back. I recieved a call 5 minutes later from Tommy Hoge. I explained my mistake to him and he told me to stand by. He went to the terminal and found my wallet in the old truck right where I said it would be. He called me and told me not to leave because he was afraid of me getting pulled over without my lic and med card. 2 hours later Tommy Hoge was knocking on my door at the truck stop. Yeah, the owner ran my wallet to me. That said a lot about how Hoge cares about its employees. I strongly recommend to anyone thinking about a change, to call Lisa at HOGE MOTOR COMPANY. You will not be sorry. It is also nice not to sit at a dock for hours on end waiting to load and unload. It is hard work chaining down in the heat and bad weather, but it is still a lot faster loading and unloading. The only additional endorsement I needed to get was my NY metal coil endorsement. which was a 20 question test and a total of 25 bucks or so. I love HOGE MOTOR CO. I know, I have only been there for a couple months but I feel it in my bones that I will be here for a very long time. My pay check averages NET around 800 - 1000 every week. If you dont want to be home every week, thats even more cash to make. they run everywhere east of the Mississippi. So you can live anywhere in that east region. It's still trucking and all the trucking BS at times but, it makes it so much easier to have a company like Hoge supporting you as much as they do. Ok, I am off my soap box now!

mile marker, 123456, DeadPhish and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RubberDown

RubberDown Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2012
    small town usa
    I've seen their trucks around as I run and live out of new York as well, always wondered if they were decent to work for. I've only got about 2 and a half years experience, do you know if they require a certain amount?

Appreciate the info on hoge

4. fancypants

fancypants Medium Load Member

Apr 14, 2010
    nw pa
    Thats just good to hear.Best of luck to ya. Keep me posted.hehe

5. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    How much experience do they require?

6. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Dont you guys haul double wagons across 90?

7. PanteraUSMC

Jun 25, 2012
    Liverpool NY
    Sorry for the delay on my post, been super busy. they require 2 years experience. Doesnt have to be consistant. 2 years total. We run 45' and 48' covered wagons, no doubles. Also, after orientation your first check will be not the following week, but the week after that. BUT, they will split your first check in half so you dont have to go a week with out any cash. Lisa is the one to talk to down there. If anyone signs on, I would appreciate it if you use my name as a referral. ($$) ;)

8. tndriver

tndriver Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2011
    mid south tn
    used to drive by the terminal twice a week. really nice trucks and trailers. you said about 44 trucks? was always at least half that parked on the yard!

9. PanteraUSMC

Jun 25, 2012
    Liverpool NY
    Yeup, about 44 trucks. I was there last weds and there were I think 8 tractors on the yard not seated. any others you may see that are hooked to trailers wouldbe drivers stopping by or sleeping. A lot of drivers live down that way so they park at the yard and go home for the night.

10. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2010
    your right it does sound like a recruiter......

11. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Why do so many of you say "recruiter" like it is a dirty word. Not just in this thread, but almost any thread on TTR where a driver reports being happy where he works. So, he is a driver trying to make a little extra in recruiting bonuses. It is a pretty standard practice in the industry. Provided he is honest and is being truthful, I certainly don't see the need for the negativity regarding his post. Just my .02.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.