"Home Daily directly out of school? Is this realistic?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bcwilson94, Sep 10, 2018.

1. bcwilson94

bcwilson94 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I'm 24 years old, was in custom carpentry for 4 years, and recently started welding school in hopes of changing careers. I have a 7 month pregnant girlfriend and consider myself a big family man.

I've had an interest in getting my CDL and was wondering if there was anyone out there that has a successful home/work life balance as a truck driver. I'm not scared of hard work and long days, or physical labor - I just want to be there for the last couple of hours a day with my daughter and soon to be wife.

How realistic is a "home daily" CDL job directly out of school?
    Would this be a dead-end career for me if I'm not willing to OTR (for the first 5-10 years at least)?
    Do you suggest going to school for my CDL or finding a local trainer somehow (DMV Area)?

Thanks everyone.

EDIT: My father has done business with a company called Old Dominion, i believe, in North or South Carolina. Their drivers apparently drive one way 5 hours, drop, and go back home. Are these jobs common?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    well, honestly in my experience, "Home daily" means exactly that......you're home during the day. Which may or may not sound great until you understand that the rest of the world is spinning during the day while you're trying to get some sleep. It will make you old quickly.
    Can you get a "Home daily" job straight out of the box? It depends on where you live. In some markets there are multiple opportunities to be home daily. In others, not so much. Look around. Do you see multiple billboards advertising for drivers? If so, you're in a good spot.

My best advice is this......rather than go to school and hope on the other end, find a place where you want to work and ask them what they need and proceed.

The basic answer to your question is 'yes', you can get a home daily job straight out of school.

Good luck and happy trails.......

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Home daily is a challenge.

When I did Bulk Im gone 16 hours. It took a hour each way to commute. Day starts at 2 am. Truck is rolling by three. It aint stopping to around 5PM or later depending on situation. You get maybe 6 hours sleep.

You have a baby coming. The biggest problem is your spouse or girlfirend is going to feel that it's all on her to mind the baby. Eventually that will bust up your situation at home when she gets fed up with it.

What really made the situation bad for me was doing battle in DC metro. Either downtown core or beltway. Several itmes a day, morning rush, lunch rush, afternoon rush with motor cades punching through. You think those #### things aint getting past that pile of stopped lanes but when they show up... it's Moses coming through the parted ocean.

Rideandrepair and Opus Thank this.
  5. dieselViking

dieselViking Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Home daily sounds great at first until you realise what they really meant was "home daily just long enough to sleep for 4-6 hours and get straight back to work."

Lav-25, Nepa3223, malinorn and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Paddlewagon

Paddlewagon Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Llano Estacado
    Yes,in many instances this is true but not all.........OP it can be done,just like has been mentioned. It just depends on your location.

street beater and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Thull

Thull Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I can attest to this! Go to bed 8:30pm just to be back up for 2:30am. Home daily is great but be expecting to work 11+ hour days for sure.

Lav-25 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Can you get a home daily job right out of school. The short answer is yes. As stated, depends on your location. Just be ready for 12 to 14 hour work shifts. You will start with the runs no one wants.

snowlauncher, Rideandrepair and Opus Thank this.
  9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    It depends on where you live. Some place in the country have more of those sorts of jobs than others, of course, but even on the local level, if all the trucking companies are an hour away from you, it doesn't really matter for a regional/otr job, but if you have to drive an hour each way to work and back every single day then 13/14 hour days get that much worse.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    I start at 5am and most days I’m clocking out around 12:30 pm (paid for 8 hours minimum no matter how many I work). About once a week I’ll be out till about 3:30 pm. But that’s pretty much by design since I’m paid hourly and get time and a half after 8 hours. Gotta get a little OT every week.

I’m not saying the guys who claim local work was nothing but work and sleep are lying. I’m just saying that hasn’t been my experience. The quality of local work depends 100% on your area. If you live in a major market, you’d be nuts to go OTR (unless that’s what you enjoy). In a major market you’ll make much more than OTR and not be worked to death. But you better be able to drive!!! That part is no joke!

plankton Thanks this.
  11. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    What's a major market

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.