Home time strategy for best earning potential?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Flatbedotr, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Flatbedotr

Flatbedotr Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2018
    When you take your home time we are off the road not making money. Besides psychological does it matter if you do it on weekends vs other times? Like are we missing possible miles for taking certain days? Logically it shouldn’t matter but trucking isn’t logic based as a profession.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    My company gives me never ending Home Time.

Home every night and most mornings and days.

I don’t know how they do it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Paddlewagon and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Flatbedotr

Nov 26, 2018
    Where do you find the time to drive the truck in your busy schedule.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  5. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    When you Live in the Truck it’s a Short walk to work

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The only advantage to having weekdays off. Is you can take of business that isn't open on weekends. Like dentist for instance.

Other then that. There isn't much else to do cuz every else is working.

I used to love riding my motorcycle. But tough to find anyone to ride during the week. Now I have weekends off. I don't have much ambition to ride with all the miles I already drive during the week. Plus, it don't matter where the ride goes. Already done it a million times by now.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  7. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I schedule mine to start on Wednesday or Thursday, then return on Monday or Tuesday.

It can make for 2 small checks sometimes. But at least I have a check.

It’s a psychological thing I guess. I know I hate seeing those goose egg statements when I take extended vacations.

I’ve been doing it this way for years. But it is about to change. Payroll has always ended for me at midnight Saturday. That changes after the first of the year. It will end at last load delivered by midnight Monday. Not sure whether I will make any changes in my home time schedule yet.

8. DenBob

DenBob Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    I'd never take my time off on a weekend if I can help it...I want to be driving Saturdays and Sundays. Whenever there are fewer people on the road that's when I want to be driving.

9. Flatbedotr

Nov 26, 2018
    Took like 4 days off middle of week and bad check ensued. Got back next week into the groove another good check. I gave my SO permission to try alternative revenue streams so doesn’t matter when I do it, lean to the weekend myself though. Now if my current company will stop screwing me this home time. Told them 7 am doc appt, but getting home approximately 9. Thankful actual time is 1030.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You found two workarounds already.

Do not reveal to your company the actual doctor time. DO follow through on it. If it's 9 am according to you (Actually 10 am or whatever, you physically need to be absent towards home to make the doctor appt at 9 am. Bobtail or rental car or whatever. You are there at 9 am no ifs buts, asking permission etc. They have a thousand other drivers to call. And deal with you later.

I go home middle of the week. I get everything done when everyone else is working. Once in a while I get stares in Walmart, at 10 am on a monday, being fit, prime and otherwise appearing able to work but evidently stalking the younger wives.

Taint so. See wedding band plus CDL in pocket and bobtail outside. Im home 10 days, check with my company if you like. It's all there in the messaging with qualcomm etc.

I used to have a FFE recruiter turned Dispatcher in Memphis, he was a good old boy in Recruiting but could not stand it for me to get to Memphis (within 3 hours of leaving) when I thought to do it. So what I ended up doing is taking his trailer 12 hours prior and am already in Chicago the 8 am he demanded me to be in memphis ready to go with that load. Ha.

11. Flatbedotr

Nov 26, 2018
    Heavy current company is worse than a mega.. something said there but it’s also my last load starting with a better company come Monday the 17th. This crap just proves I am right about leaving. Last home time doc appt was first thing Monday and for in Friday for that time. They just didn’t want me to get home to soon I think.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.