Homeless vs. Cheap apartment

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bum, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Bum

Bum Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2013
    all over now
    Hi Everyone. I want to make this question basic. Would it be better to have a cheap apartment $6300 a year, or live out of the truck? I have no kids, family, wife/girlfriend. What would be financially best? Thanks!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Buy a cheap 1-2 bedroom house. Then you aren't throwing money away and you have a place to lay your head down. There are plenty of homes you can buy for $400 a month. it might not be the prettiest, but it's a start.

4. kirk

kirk Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    ks
    Live out of the truck, and keep your money in your pocket.

Bum Thanks this.
  5. cl8936

cl8936 Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Why waste the money? Just find a nice bridge to live under while your at home.

Bum, booba92EZ and zoekatya Thank this.
  6. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Get some work out of San Diego, and work most of the month. Rent a nice apartment in Tijuana for 200 / month and live on the beach for home time.

zoekatya, Fiddle Sticks and Bum Thank this.
  7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    That gets old quick. The whole purpose of home time is to get out of the truck so you don't go bonkers. A man needs to get out and return to doing the normal things in life. One can have a home and money in the bank.
    At least spend your home time in a motel. You can handle about 2 years of that.

You keep living in the truck you give up friends, family and a girlfriend. You'll turn into one of them greasy fat truckers that hates anything and everyone.

The problem with that is that bird that lives above you! :)

tman78, zoekatya, thefish and 9 others Thank this.
  8. mavljc

mavljc Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2013
    save your money then buy a house of your own, I suggest a Kenworth but any house will do.

Bum Thanks this.
  9. Bum

Bum Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2013
    all over now
    Haha! Thanks guys. I'm not interesting in taking home time or buying another house. Gonna try to live out of the truck and save some cash. The Tijuana idea sounds interesting tho.

GypsyMamma Thanks this.
  10. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    I almost did the Tijuana thing. check out tijuana craigslist. it's not as bad of a city as they make it out to be. as long as you're not selling crack on people's turf or hanging out with police officers it's a pretty nice city, especially if you're a man then you got nothing to worry about.jus tstay out of downtown (centro) and the east side of town.

i compare it to san francisco, the east side is hot and dry, then you go over the hill to the west and you got the rich neighborhood with the beach...you're 10 miles from san diego and an hour away from san diego if you use the pedestrian line at san ysidro.

zoekatya and Bum Thank this.
  11. Rollin_18

Rollin_18 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Get a big condo sleeper with a back door so the lot lizards can sneak in without anybody knowing.

Bum Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.