Hometime Parking lot mess. Truck held by lot owner.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by VIDEODROME, Sep 4, 2019.

1. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I moved south from Wisconsin to Mobile, AL and hired on with a company who said they had parking available for me in Mobile. It turned out to just be rented space in someone else's private tow yard. There was already a Volvo there left by another driver that I took over. I parked the truck or my car here since I started last year in December.

Over Labor Day weekend, I was passing through with a load from Florida going to Gulfport, MS Sam's Club due early Tuesday morning. I had a lot of extra time so I parked there Saturday for a Labor Day weekend break.

Things turn weird:
    I decide to grab the truck Monday night and just park at Sam's Club so I'll be there fresh off a 10 in the morning for them and my pre-plans. The combination padlock has been changed and the lot owner has blocked the gate on the inside with his big tow rig so I can't get my truck out.

I finally get ahold of people and his claim is my company stiffed him storage money. I don't know why he waited so long until he decided to make this an issue and hold up my truck this way. This is dragging on and I'm over 2 days late to deliver to Gulfport, MS. My company says their doing a wire transfer to pay everything and when that is confirmed by the banks, he'll release my truck.

This is so bizarre I'm considering looking for another job and I'm losing my parking space for a semi and I don't know where else I can park. However, I feel I can be a little patient and finish this delivery as well as give notice.

I dunno, just some random thoughts on a bizarre situation as I sit at home. I am told I should settle for 'breakdown' pay or layover pay for this.

FB_IMG_1567621299491.jpg

tscottme, Lepton1 and Coffey Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Time to change companies.
    Lots to choose from in that area.
    Dolphin Line, but don't know how good an outfit it is.

4. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I never got around to getting a TWIC or renewing my Hazmat which kind of limits things. Many outfits want to be able to go into the ports. Many other Dry Van companies have poor reputations.

I am seriously considering a lead from DHL though driving a day cab locally with a 48' trailer.

5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Well somebodys gotta pay for that double steer axle rotater truck! God dang thats gotta be a pretty penny just to start that frickin thing up

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not to mention a possible 80 ton rating. I estimate that thing about a million two in retail cost... purty...

Buy a acre of land, whistle up 1000 in gravel bed deep and long to get parked on and done.

7. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Anyone familiar with Greenbush of Everwood? Seems like 2 lumber of construction flatbedders.

8. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Ask the wrecker dude for a job.

9. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    How much could rental on a parking space possible cost your company? If they're in arrears on something that small then I'd be concerned.

Woodys, tscottme, 86scotty and 9 others Thank this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Good point.

I’d be expecting a paycheck to bounce sometime soon.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    DHL is probably a good choice. That's one of those companies many drivers don't think about because it's associated with cargo planes.
    Formula 1 fans probably familiar with the company since DHL hauls Formula 1 cars and crews all over the world for races.
    [​IMG]

dwells40, Lepton1, D.Tibbitt and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.