Hometime Parking lot mess. Truck held by lot owner.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by VIDEODROME, Sep 4, 2019.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If the company isn't paying some of their bills they will eventually not pay you. It's one thing if everything at the company suggests they are making money and paying their bills. Mistakes happen. However, if anything else suggests others vendors or employees are complaining about getting their money, you are in danger.

Fuel and payroll are almost every trucking company's biggest expenses Usually payroll is the biggest of the two. That means those are the 2 biggest post of money the company can dip into to try and put out some other financial fire. Also, employee payroll many times has enough "fuzziness" about what should be paid and what was paid that it's a tempting target when companies get desperate.

The first thing to do when you get a job is start looking for your next job or an emergency job if your current employer goes away. Always have a job waiting in your back pocket or have savings you can use if there are numerous jobs near you.

Good luck. I've been where you appear o be right now. You have to look out for you, nobody has more interest in your future than you. It's not their job. It's your job how the future works out for you. Do everything to stay professional with current company but have an escape plan.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

"Our driver isn't answering his phone. We are sending another driver to grab his truck." I think I've been in an office while a shipper/receiver/dispatcher was lying to someone about another driver's situation while the person/company doing the lying was responsible for the delay.

Whenever a shipper/receiver/dispatcher is making you sit for hours or days waiting on them, be certain they are blaming YOU for the delay. That's one small reason I suggest nobody ever sees you at work looking like a hungover hobo. If you look and act professional (CLEAN) while someone is saying you are drunk in a hotel holding a load hostage, it doesn't seem as convincing. Don't give reasons for people to assume YOU are the problem.

FlaSwampRat and Makeajump Thank this.
  4. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    It seems when the other driver left somebody stopped paying rent not realizing another driver was using same place. Innocent mistake. It’s not uncommon for one person in a cubicle to not have a clue as to what the other is doing.

Now they’re wondering why nobody told them earlier instead of being hit with a fat bill.

Not accusing driver, but some communication in the inter office would have helped.

Doesn’t mean company is in trouble

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. tscottme

I don't know ANY state that accepts another state's HazMat endorsement. Every time I've moved and any driver I've known to move has to re-take the HazMat computer test to transfer HazMat. I don't know about all of the other HazMat requirements. I vaguely think if they still have time on them they stay good. IIRC

6. tscottme

Not only does incompetence cause financial problems, every broke person/company I've known claims that what looks like financial problems are just some sort of accounting screw-up. Denial ain't just a river in Africa.

FlaSwampRat, Makeajump and ZVar Thank this.
  7. tscottme

The boss picked the tow company yard, I presume. This dispute is between the trucking company and the tow yard. The driver is not responsible for the problem or the solution. Years ago dispatchers used to brainwash drivers by convincing them any problem was for the driver to overcome. BS. I'm not a mechanic, accountant, lawyer, civil engineer, petroleum geologist, etc. I'm a driver. I'll sacrifice some comfort and time away from home, but I cannot make the impossible happen no matter how good the story is why I should want to do so. No dispatcher or boss is going to sacrifice being at his kid/wife's hospital bed to get a check to the driver.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

How dare you not waste money to make someone else jealous of your ride. What, are you communist? ;-)

9. dclerici1

dclerici1 Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2012
    MISSOURI
    You keep talking breakdown pay this, breakdown pay that. But does that come anywhere near your road pay? Are you enjoying this “vacation” a little too much?
    Another thing to think about, if YOU arrange parking for your company’s truck and something happens to it while it’s there, then YOU know who’s ### it’ll be.
    In the end, the only thing that matters if everything works out the way you want it to work out. Hopefully it will be to your benefit.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Are you freaking kidding me !!!!! It’s been a week and this issue hasn’t been resolve yet ? You must be desperate to keep your job.... I would of pack my #### and said good riddens by now. Sheesh...... Unbelievable...... I would put a bag over my head in this forum if I was you........

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Yeppers. At this point I'd be starting a new job on Monday. Not like there aren't plenty of other jobs out there.
    Even if I have to pay the lot owner a few dollars to get my stuff out of the truck. I highly doubt it would come down to that though.

FlaSwampRat and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.