Honest Advice from Experience? Calling Flatbedders

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PolishPrince, Jan 21, 2018.

1. PolishPrince

PolishPrince Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    First off, I am a company driver for three months now. I got my CDL and have been hauling open step-deck from the start in Oct. Exactly where I wanted to start, got lucky, proved myself and now been solo for 2 months. I do have many family members that do or have done OTR, all o/o. So this isn't a post about don't get your own authority advice or it's harder then you think. I know what it takes to run a business and a truck. But what I do or could use some help on is truck and trailer advice.

My personal goal as a step-decker is to be as Versatile as possible. OD, over-wieght(ish) permitted loads, cars, building supplies, basic commodities, machinery, equipment, etc etc etc.

I am willing to give up heavy haul to start because I do want an all aluminum trailer, 1) for increased cargo capacity, and 2) for lighter weight.

So I now consider myself 9months from my own truck and authority. I've already built a whole list of relationships with so many brokers, just as a company driver! All saying you have work from me when you want it(paraphrased)... Saving every dollar I'm making as the wife more then covers home bills, and I honestly can't believe how much I'm making as a "rookie" Can't wait, real excited. Really just waiting to save, and hit the 1 year mark, which makes the insurance premiums manageable.

I say "rookie" because on paper I just started, but I have been driving 18wheelers since I was 12 with my old man, every summer. I can drive and back circles around so many idiots today. And this would be my second business so yep, good there too. But trucking Sure is different then what I remember in the late 90s. Anyway...

I've already talked with a few insurance agents, and have a couple quotes and understand what my liability, cargo, and "bobtail" will cost and know what to expect for cost and coverage.

Trailer I about know what I want, now finding the right brand. I like Manac, Reitenour, and Fontaine. All alumnium step deck, with 2 boxes, j-hook channels(unless Fontaine) sliding rear spread and front axle lift, scales, dual bag dump, full ramp kit, dunage rack and container locks... 45-60k range depending on brand.

I pull a 2017 Manac and it's specd out sweet... and still Tares under 11,500

I'm honestly down to between two trucks to start with. Either a 2013-2015 Volvo D13 730/780 or a 1997-1999 3406 379. Which surprisingly are similar in price. Class leading comfort and Cali with one. Or no elog and versatility with the other...

And there is a ton of good paying freight in Cali... but I'm sure you guys know that. And those Petes have proven themselves as the industry workhorse that just doesn't die.

The Volvo will have under 500k and the Pete will have around or over 1M. But under 1.5M

So basically truck and trailer talk me, but I am never opposed to any type of honest advice.

TIA

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Oh no , the pp is back.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Why spend all the money to get a light trailer then put a heavy truck under it?

Broke Down 69 and slim shady Thank this.
  5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    For as much as I hate Peterbilts, I'd go with the Pete. And I base that solely on the engine, and none of the emissions crap to deal with. But if running Cali is in your plans, obviously that's a no go, unless you wanna spend some money.

If lightweight is your goal, I've seen alot of Mack sleeper trucks at the cement Mills that are lighter than my daycab. And I pull the lightest trailer currently on the market. Just a thought

6. PolishPrince

PolishPrince Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    Rock and roll!

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You seem to want that CA work, so it's a Volvo.

It's a touch heavy and removes the difference between steel and aluminum.

When I hauled my aluminum ravens I had a midroof Volvo and it was pretty light for it's time back in the 90's If i had to buy a new truck for this work you speak of it's going to be another midroof, probably a Mack, leaning towards them anyhow. Or a Freightliner 122SD with room for a sleeper added to the daycab. It wont be much and then again it will be plenty beef for the heavier loadings you have in mind. It does not have to be a full Condo sleeper. Just enough for a man to stand up and get dressed and a couple of cabinets.

Freightliner really hurt themselves just limiting to the 122SD Daycab and failed to offer a factory small mid sleeper for those who might want to have it.

If I had to choose between the volvo and Pete without thinking of CA, it's going to be the pete. I will have to throw the big tool box into it and be ready for a future in which that non compliant non ELD pete is eventually BANNED in the USA (Don't think that wont be a possibility... CA is already considering it, as well as a total ban on liquid fueled cars and light trucks by 2040...) Not so much BANNED, but regulated to where you cannot use it legally anymore in any kind of money making trucking.

PolishPrince Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.