Hope I'm getting good training?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by sjtrucker, Dec 15, 2007.

1. sjtrucker

sjtrucker Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Hayward WI
    I see alot of you other new guys talking about how your school is 8,10 12 weeks and sometimes even longer, and than you go even longer with a drive trainer.

The school I am going to in January is 5 weeks in total and we will test for our cdl on the third week, and they told me after the 5 weeks I will be out on my own in my own truck.

I sure hope they teach us every thing we need to know in that 5 week period.

P.S. I think one thing that is different is that I have already passed all the written exams for my CDLA/HAZMAT so I think that is were they make up some of the time on these other school's (I hope thats part of it anyway?)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Globetrotter

Globetrotter Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    everywhere
    Seems kinda of fast to me, but I imagine that they will spend a bit more time if someone needs it before assigning them a truck.

Its hard to go very many weeks without a decent paycheck but if it makes you a better driver I think its worth it. We did 4 week school, followed by 4-7 weeks with a trainer with Company. Maybe a bit long for some, but we are hoping that it will make us as ready as possible.

Much Luck to you!!!:biggrin_25519:

4. Mtn.Momma

Mtn.Momma Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Northwest USA
    Just make sure the school you choose is PTDI Certified.
    It's Gov. Regulations & Requirements, & Guidelines.

Some companies won't hire a student that graduated from a truck driving school that is not PTDI Certified. They look for that.

I have trained drivers that went to schools for 5 to 6 weeks.
    Those drivers really had a hard struggle.
    Others that went for at least 8 to 10 weeks, still had much to learn, but
    training was easier on them.

I also trained some that went to community colleges, and trained for 6 months. They didn't need very much training. And while they were attending classes, they worked their regular jobs, so they still had their income. (Also they didn't have to pay as much for their schooling.)

After you graduate, I suggest finding a job with a company that offers a training program that is at least 8 to 12 weeks long. There's more to learn than just how to drive the truck, do paperwork, and the laws.
    There are situations that come up in "real time" that will stir questions up
    in you, and the longer you have an experienced hand (driver) with you,
    the better training you'll get.

Think of it like this:
    Middle School= Truck Driving School
    High School= Being with a Trainer, on the road
    Collage= When you are Solo, in your own truck

And the learning never stops!

Good Luck!

5. sjtrucker

sjtrucker Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Hayward WI
    I guess I wasn't to clear on this but the company I am going to school with is the company I am going to work for I will start driveing fo them as soon as my 5 weeks are over

All they said was they put a flag on my name so the dipatchers take it easy on you for awhile but other than that you are driveing on your own after the 5 weeks of training.

6. CAZ

CAZ Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2007
    escanaba michigan
    It sounds fast and you would think they wood make sure you are read to be on your own after all you would think they would'nt want a driver that wasn't ready for being buy themselves in a truck that can do alot harm

7. LuckyLady7

LuckyLady7 <strong>Good Luck Charm</strong>

Nov 8, 2007
    South Carolina
    I agree that is a little fast, but if you don't feel comfortable going out that soon or feel you need more time...plz don't let your pride stand in the way..because its a "whole new ballgame" when you are ALONE otr doing it all yourself...it won't hurt as much if you ask now...rather than wait until you need someone and you look around and no one is there..but you!

"There is more to trucking...than driving..." :yes2557:

8. IUfanforever

IUfanforever Light Load Member

May 31, 2007
    The school I went to was three weeks long.

Week One: Classroom/permit testing
    Week Two: range/pretrip/backing
    Week Three: pre for driving test/CDL driving test

I graduated Friday of the third week with my class A CDL. I knew the basics and had my CDL, which is all the company that hired me wanted.

THEN I was trained OTR with a driver trainer for 4 weeks, where I learned how to "Do the job." At the school I learned how to "Drive the truck"...nothing more.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.