HOS local haul.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by okiedokie, Apr 30, 2017.

1. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Is it 11 or 12 hrs driving time for a local haul? Under 100 miles.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Under that, doing a log is not required as long as you punch out before the 12 hour curfew and remain within 100 miles of where you start your day and end it. The issue of 11 hours drive time is moot.

4. okiedokie

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Thanks Mack. We're running a book but 12 hrs driving and 14 hrs total.

5. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    By moot I assume you mean that no one can reasonably do upwards of 11 hours of drive time in that hundred mile radius in under 12 hours, right? Because even though you don't have to log, the Hos regs still apply. (Except the thirty minute break)
    If you are local, would your work be considered intrastate or interstate? If intrastate, toss the federal hos rules out the window and read the state hos. They may be identical to the federal rules or they may be different.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    True, but when one isn't logging due to the local exemption chances are they aren't tracking their driving hours either, not that it matters a whole lot because I have one of the two most distant routes out of our terminal, and coming even close to that much driving time is impossible.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    11 hours drive. Plus 30 minute lunch. Plus 15 minutes pre and post trip.

That's how the 12 hours breaks down.

Unless it changed in the last 7 years.

If less then 12 you don't need a log.

I don't know about the interstate. My first dumptruck job for construction was a big ,company. They had double bellies that would haul powder from Wyoming to salt lake for the concrete plant. I'm not sure the miles on that haul. But it was 2 trips per day.

8. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Local no logbook, using time card you get 12 hrs. Use 12 hrs anyway you want, since you aren't logging you don't have to show what you were doing. No logging pretrip or fuel or lunch

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. okiedokie

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    So the bottom line is 12 hrs for local,period. Pretrip, fueiing, driving, ect. Its still 12 hrs total time. Thanks drivers. Got roped into a job that their trying to run 14 hrs. Explained to the truck owner that wasn't in the cards for me. Scale at pit is time stamped. What part of dodging a bullet don't you see. These truck jobs never change.

10. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Again, you may want to look at your state's intrastate rules, if you fall under some sort of exemption, etc. Guys like @MACK E-6 are inter state even if they stay in state themselves because their product originated out of state. But your dump truck (or whatever you are driving) stays in state, delivering product that stays in state, things *may* be different.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  11. okiedokie

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Owner said 12 hrs was max in Ore. He didnt say total just drive. I knew that wasnt right. That said it's 1 hr drive time to job and 1 hr back plus fueling and pretrip/post. Wanted to make sure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.