HOS Question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DevJohnson, Jul 21, 2018.

1. DevJohnson

DevJohnson Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Hey guys! Quick question about my hours.. so say I drove for 8 hours one day and I wanted to shut down early so I did.. already took my break my Qualcomm says I have two hours left whatever, so I shut down put myself into sleeper birth. Well let’s say it’s 3pm when I do all this.. I know by time I wake up I can drive cus it’ll have been 10 hours in the berth but will shutting down that early and going past that 10hrs mean anything but a fresh clock for when I wake up? Shorter question: Can I shut down anytime I want just as long as Im in sleeper berth for 10hrs after?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The only thing that is affected by the calendar day is the seventy. The 11/14/10 hour clocks will not be affected by the actual time of day.

stwik, x1Heavy and DevJohnson Thank this.
  4. DevJohnson

Nov 27, 2017
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Also keep a paper recap. Your 8th day hours you get back against the total of 70 hours will help you decide to work that day or take a 34.

8 hours is not quite a full day of 11 hours driving, but you did two things right, first not violate anything and second found a lawful place to park when you did. Just maintain a continuous trip planning to be sure you are not late to your appointment time (Get a new one if you are...) and go on.

The time of day will affect you personally if you are a morning person, night person etc. But has no meaning in HOS. When you have time to go work, that's time to go work after your rest is over (Long enough to get a new working day back such as 11/14 etc)

DevJohnson Thanks this.
  6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You can shut down and begin your 10 hr break anytime you choose. There is no minimum required on duty time.
    But you do not have to log 10 hrs in the sleeper. Or any hrs. You 10 hr break can be any combination of off duty and sleeper berth. Or all of one or the other. The only time you must show sleeper berth is when you are using the 8-2 split. then the 8 has to be in the sleeper

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The key is being smart and knowing when it’s in your best interest to shut down “early” or push through and drive as far as you can. You should never develop a mindset “I want to conserve hours” and drive fewer hours.

DevJohnson Thanks this.
  8. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Let’s see if we can muddy this up. :)

77fib77 Thanks this.
  9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Sure.
    [​IMG]

MBAngel and IluvCATS Thank this.
  10. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Yes. I do it as needed. I'll shut down early outside of Atlanta to get up early and run it before 5 am. I shut down early in Jersey to park.

11. DevJohnson

Nov 27, 2017
    So for instance I have an appointment due at 11am I just shut down at 9:30pm I put myself in sleeper now I have to wait 10 hrs to any back? I still am four hours away from my destination

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.