HOS question

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Brucesmith, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I hope to be driving long haul to the USA soon. I have done this in other years but was on ELD. This time I think it will be paper for now. I have no problem with the USA rules when I leave Canada. It is only one hour to the border. But I probably will be doing a Manitoba/Laredo/Calgary/ Manitoba triangle. Under Canadian rules my Qualcomm usually found my 2 hours of off duty and after 8 hours sleeper berth I was good to go when I returned to Canada. But what happens with paper logs. Example: I have driven 5 hours in the USA with one 30 minute break. When I return to Canada I use that 30 minutes and only need 9.5 hours sleeper berth? How do I handle my recap? I use the Recap app and don't know how to get it to change to Canadian rules. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yes, if you took a break of at least 30 minutes, it counts towards your 10 hours daily off-duty requirement in Canada. Of course, if you are on-duty less than 8 hours when you hit the border, the 30 minute rest is not mandatory for Canada.

As a reminder, only 8 of the 10 hours must be consecutive and it can be off-duty, sleeper or any combination thereof (assuming you're not doing a split sleeper). The remaining 2 hours can be consecutive or non-consecutive of increments greater than 30 minutes to qualify.

For Recap+; tap the three bars icon in the top right, [Settings] from menu at bottom, [Hours of Service] from pop up menu, choose HOS.

If you're doing recap on paper, remember we're 70/7 up here, as opposed to 70/8 down there.

And if you're doing a reset in the US, make it a Canadian 36 hours to avoid issues if you get an inspection here.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Thank you for that explanation.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And stick to your home ternimal time. The USA has a pacific time zone and a eastern time zone that is 4 hours apart. Your Nation has the same thing. But stick with the time zone in which your home yard is in for logging etc.

Any time we were up there in Canada, we continued on to log as normal. Now if the Canadian DOT had a issue we will stick to our guns eh?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.