HOS regarding going to recover a truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Buckeye91, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    I have a friend that works Monday thru Friday trucking job. So he logs HOS there. He wants to go recover a truck in Canada over the weekend and take it to Chicago. Just the truck. No trailer or freight. Is there any kind of wording that says you don’t have to log it. Since you’re not moving freight. Also how would it go over at the border? He says he’s never gone into Canada in a semi before. Would customs give him hassle? Or understand what he’s doing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    First, the only time you don't have to log in a cmv is when you are using it for personal reasons. A cmv is a cmv regardless if it is loaded or empty.

Second, is the truck American or Canadian. If it is American and you are not hauling freight, there should be no customs charge at the border, but it wouldn't hurt to be prepared and have some money to pay the customs charge. When I brought my truck from Canada to the US, I think the customs charge was $7.50. Dont forget to have him bring his passport.

brian991219 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    He's buying the vehicle and moving it, or will it be in the US for a limited time? If he bought it, there are all sorts of import laws he will have to deal with.
    Best bet is to call bot US and Canada customs to see what is required.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Going into Canada by car? No issue. Unless you have been arrested or have a previous dui or maybe got caught smoking a joint 40 years ago. Going back to USA just make sure you follow all rules as far as log book, proof of insurance and all your cab card and authority all that paperwork. You need to fill out a log as you normally would. Do not try to claim personal move in Canada.
    You don't need to do an ace (Canada to USA) if empty of bobtail. Some may argue this. I never do. Maybe it's different for different crossings. I go empty at detroit mi, port Huron mi and lewiston ny from time to time, no ace, never had an issue.
    EVERY truck needs an aci (USA to Canada) in order to enter. The fine for not having one is $2000.

The processing fee is now 13.05 I think. Unless the truck has a transponder you may be asked to pay. Sometimes they don't care and just let you go.

USA border officials may have questions if you are recovering a truck with Canadian plates and you are an American and this is not a regular move for you. If it has American plates and is registered to a us company then no issue. They watch for stolen vehicles this way. They have all the answers before they ask the questions. Since it isn't business as usual, expect a bit more hassle when crossing. They may even search the unit going back to USA.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    Just got some more details. It’s not a truck recovery. It’s a truck that was bought new in Canada and needs moved to USA. If that makes any difference.

Bean Jr. and SteerTire Thank this.
  7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Check with US customs. Get the info from the horses mouth. I have exported and imported vehicles and slight changes are common year to year, some just enough to screw up your whole day.
    and make sure you empty the roach tray:D

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Just log it legal coming into U.S. then when back home and the truck is dropped, tear up log as if it never happened.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's a company move. There is nothing much to be done except to make sure that you have the insurance, permits etc (With you) if you are penetrating Canada by Car (No problem provided you have no crimes etc of certain kinds)

Ive always come out of Canada Empty, either via Winsdor-Detriot or Buffalo which might demand a few minutes to search the rig end to end right quick. Things have changed since 9-11.

Paper logs from Keller is like 1.50. When you have it all into the USA, you are done with that particular log after 6 months holding for auditing.

10. keitht

keitht Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    USA
    Always ask yourself: "Is what I'm doing, work related and benefiting the carrier?" If the answer is "yes," you would be in commerce. Purchasing trucks for your company or for your work, is absolutely work related. You would need a log book. Since you are in interstate commerce, you would need a U.S. DOT number. You would need markings, medical certificate, IFTA and appropriate registration (depending on the size and configuration of the vehicle.)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    brian991219 Thanks this.
  11. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Go through that truck with a fine tooth comb before you go to the border. If there is any sort of contraband in there and customs finds it in a search, there be deep, deep doo-doo.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.