Hot shot between Canada & USA

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by zeenazeen, Aug 19, 2021.

1. zeenazeen

zeenazeen Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2021
    It’s interesting how many people claim to know all the rules. yet forget there is often an exemption to said rules some where. Not until it’s them exercising that loop hole do they learn about it. But you can tell them a million times about your exemption to the rule and they still won’t believe you. Almost like they mad or jealous because it’s not them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Work for an American carrier and you'll never have issues regarding cabotage. Work for a Canadian one and you will at some point, regardless of your situation. At some point, Buford T Justice in some small US town will hassle you, but driving for an American-based carrier will eliminate that problem. I've written quite a few posts on the subject, mostly all in the Canadian forum, and I am aware of the Jay treaty.

You won't have to worry about your licence so long as you are operating within the limits of it and the equipment you are running.

zeenazeen Thanks this.
  4. zeenazeen

zeenazeen Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Y
    I’d told my wife that same thing. I figured the easiest way would be that route. Thanks for the advice as it’s seems the most sound so far

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I don’t care what you do or say.

This is my business and I have to know what the laws and regulations are.

I have three drivers who are in the same situation as you, one is a member of some tribe around here and two others are part of a Montana tribe, they can can cross legally all day long as citizens but as drivers of a commercial transport, they are restricted to the customs regulations and treaties between Canada and the US. The jay treaty is NOT supreme over the constitution or customs or other treaties. The feds have absolute powers for customs no matter what when it comes to commercial commerce or interstate commerce.

wis bang and Accidental Trucker Thank this.
  6. zeenazeen

zeenazeen Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Well this is easy to solve the jay treaty only applies to Canadian Indians. American Indians Canada doesn’t recognize this treaty. It’s an agreement between USA and the Queen. A simple google search will help with all that info. But I can answer all your questions that I have first hand knowledge of

7. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Sounds like this was solved before the first response

upload_2021-8-21_16-5-11.gif

ncmickey and zeenazeen Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Still doesn’t apply to the issue I brought up, you can’t use your native or first nation status to bypass customs or cabotage treaty with Canada on commercial trade. This has been an issue before and it has been settled.

The jay treaty only addresses the travel between the two countries and allowing a recognized person the ability to travel between the country freely, which brings up another point, under other treaties, we as US and Canadian citizens have the same exact right to do so without the interference from either country, there are exceptions to this as there are with natives or First Nation peoples. On top of that, natives and First Nation peoples tend to forget that their US citizenship didn’t exist until 1924 when congress allowed them to have a dual citizenship and that means that they hold legislative citizenship and that can be restricted or even removed just like if the person is naturalized where as a natural born citizen has no restrictions and can not have their citizenship removed.

9. zeenazeen

zeenazeen Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2021
    That’s a big fat WRONG!

10. zeenazeen

zeenazeen Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2021
    So let me get this straight your such a know it all except when it applies to your own business? You couldn’t figure out why your own workers couldn’t take advantage of the jay treaty? When a simple asking of the border guard or google search would solve that. Now I’m supposed to believe anything that comes from your mouth? You couldn’t get the answers for yourself. Your not a leader and full of bad information. Going forward nothing you say her holds any weight. Best to go argue with your wife might have someone fooled over there not here!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.