Hot shot truckers....Vultures?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by SCtruckerdude, Jun 10, 2015.

1. SCtruckerdude

SCtruckerdude Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Do you guys set up shop near a scale house and hope some car carrier or other truck is overweight so u guys can put on some of their freight and make a quick buck? Doesn't sound like a good way to make a living.... off of peoples mistakes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Lawyers do it. Politicians do it. Drug dealers do it. Pharmaceutical companies do it. Lots of others too.

Doesn't really make it right, but if there's a need or want then that means there's a market.

4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I've never heard of that. I cant see how anybody can stay busy enough to make any money like that. Why do you ask?

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    When I brush hog the field - after a few minutes, these birds appear, kind of like a swallow I guess. They're VERY quick and agile. I figured it out after a bit, they're after all the insects disturbed by the mower.

@Vilhiem is right. Doesn't make it right, nor fair (like the left cheek of a Fijian boys behind), but it still is.

A load I do regularly called for a 'Partial' - at a crud rate. Only needed 30 odd feet of deck space. It hung around until I spied it on the back of a hot shot. I pondered the 'vulture' and effect on rates equation, but then just went about my business.

6. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I let my brokers know that I'm available to do that stuff. I usually do it as a favor - I don't make enuf to make it worth it, but I figure I can get karma points if I can help get a big truck back on the road.

7. atlasshruggery

atlasshruggery Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well what would be the overweight drivers options? I would think the original carrier would have to okay the hotshot taking any extra freight? If that's the case, it's a win win. It allows the carrier to continue on their way, and the hotshot to get some money

8. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Mostly it's tow companies I see going into a scale, and unload excess weight, or adjusting weight. I see it happening all the time here at the Cajon scales. Usually a flatbed wrecker shows up with a forklift on the back. It's a needed service.

If you really wanted to go after it you'd need to call all the big carriers and get on their venders list. Thats really the only way you'll get any calls for it.

truckon and atlasshruggery Thank this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    So what do you propose, the overweight truck just be allowed to carry on? Or do you think anyone coming to assist should just do it for free because someone else made a "mistake?" Whomever takes care of the excess weight isn't the one that caused the problem to begin with, why single them out for your disdain?

truckon and atlasshruggery Thank this.
  10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

How much were you over weight?

11. o/otony

o/otony Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2012
    its getting that bad out there?

thejackal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.