Hotshot Dually + 3 car hauler. Under or over 26K lbs?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Hammershield, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Hammershield

Hammershield Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I am in the research phase for setting up a local hot shot car carrier. I plan on using a 3500 Dually and a 3 or 4 car carrier trailer. I am trying to figure out which side of the 26k lb mark I would be on. Any help is appreciated. The difference in getting setup is pretty significant.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    You going to be on the over 26,000 side

Hammershield and Dominick253 Thank this.
  4. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    It's hard enough to make it in this business without trying to make it harder on yourself staying under 26k

brian991219 and Hammershield Thank this.
  5. Hammershield

Apr 27, 2016
    I appreciate the honest responses. I finally got into a local yard to talk to someone tomorrow. I am hoping to pay a driver to let me do a ride along or two.

6. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Personally think you would be better off spending $100 drinking at a bar this weekend & reading this/other car haul forums hungover before trying that 3 car dually thing. It will hurt less. Unless you have some connections somewhere with a known rate that you can count on, 3 cheap cars on central is not going to do it.

brian991219, Hammershield and Terry270 Thank this.
  7. Hammershield

Apr 27, 2016
    Just researching this whole thing has me needing a stiff drink. I have been reading and the whole prospect is very intimidating. But I have also been researching and shaking hands. Fortunately, I have made connections with the local train auto distribution company and have a path to get signed up within 24 hours of having my authority. The rates are set as well. Its the only way I would step into this. I definitely wouldn't try the hauling boards to make a living.

I got to work with a driver yesterday working out of the same yard. Nice guy, was glad to talk to me and show me how he loads, etc.

8. Terry270

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Those "connections" are very easy to make for anyone who simply gives them a call. They are dying for guys to come haul their cheap crap. Even the best places have decent rates out of there but the run is too short to mess with at that rate and it doesn't leave you in a good place to get a load back. And let me tell you, there is NOTHING on the board paying enough to justify heading back empty

Hammershield Thanks this.
  9. Hammershield

Apr 27, 2016
    I understand the connections are open to anyone who is capable. The rate isn't per mile, its by trip and car type. The loads are mostly local with some regional.

10. Terry270

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    It is up to the truck owner to convert it to an income per mile rate and to decide if it's worth your time. Believe me, they hope you aren't smart enough to do this and they will love you for it.

11. Mudflap89

Mudflap89 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2016
    Lakeland Florida
    Hello are u near polk county Florida

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.