Hotshot help re-visited.

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by SamuraiTater, Oct 8, 2019.

1. SamuraiTater

SamuraiTater Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Probably the same type of questions you’ve seen before, but this time with some refined parameters. For starters I hold a CDL-A. Been a company man pulling a 48’ flatbed all around the lower 48 for about 2 years now. I’m not afraid of running anywhere and everywhere for weeks or months at a time. But I don’t intend to run my arse off in an effort to line somebody else’s pockets until the day I die. At some point I’m doing this for my own financial gain.

1. Is there good money in hot-shoting ? Meaning could you net 100 - 150 k per year if you’re willing to run ?

2. Is the freight there ? Does it generally stay there ?

Some other statements to take into consideration : I don’t have any personal customer connections at this point, so I would definitely start out leased onto somebody like Landstar. I don’t really like the idea of giving up 27% of the load but you gotta start somewhere. I would think after a couple or three years I might have learned some things about the owner op side as well as have developed relationships with shippers and identified good areas to exploit. Then I would stand a better chance of stepping out completely on my own.

I do not currently have a truck but I have the capital and credit to buy it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SamuraiTater

Aug 11, 2017
    ......Some more to add.

I’ve been considering buying a semi tractor and running flatbed leased onto Landstar. But if I do that, I will likely buy a new tractor from the outset. I just don’t want the risk of inheriting a used tractor that I have to sink big money for unscheduled maintenance into right from the start.

With that in mind, I’m figuring the (new) equipment cost and operating cost might be about half in hot shot verses a semi tractor trailer. To me that’s less of a risk.

......But is the freight there ???

4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Do you sincerely think many folks out here are netting 150k a year?

Lite bug Thanks this.
  5. SamuraiTater

Aug 11, 2017
    I don’t know what’s possible in hot-shot hauling, that’s why I ask. I know you can make that kind of money on the flatbed side if you’re willing to run. I’ve talked to too many O/O on that side to disbelieve it. Some have even shown me their numbers (incoming and outgoing).

6. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Ok. Well best of luck to you.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  7. fuccillo111

fuccillo111 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2019
    There net part depends on the gross part and the overhead part. It's possible to gross 300+k/yr. Seems simple enough to figure out but im not a driver. Say the avg load for hotshot throughout the year is $1.30(just an arbitrary number guys, I know "your lucky to get THAT, in the summer in the southwest with the wind to you back there and back". Say you drive 2700 miles/week x 48 weeks =$168,480 gross. After that it varies from driver to driver. I would hope on bringing home 30-35% of that. So $50,544-58,968 net. That's based on my general idea of how this works i.e truck, trailer payment, insurance, fuel, taxes, fees, this bs that bs. That's also taking 4 weeks off or accounting for breakdowns or slow weeks. To me those numbers are best case scenarios for a new o.o.

8. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Very highly doubt many hot shots are grossing $300k or more a year... Very highly doubt!!!

9. fuccillo111

Sep 18, 2019
    Possible but not probable... You would need to run the max hrs/week for 52 weeks@$1.75avg load throughout the year.

10. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Very highly doubt many if any are doing that. More than likely not even a lot of Big trucks are doing those numbers this year with how the market is.

11. fuccillo111

Sep 18, 2019
    If you had to guess, what would you say the average miles per year are for hotshots? Also, what is the average load pay/mile? If possible can you base those on the past 3 year average to get some good with the not so good years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.