Hotshot Tag & Registration (FL)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by garkeller, Aug 4, 2017.

1. garkeller

garkeller Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Hello Everyone!
    Now that our LLC transport company insurance is in place ($3000 down with Progressive in FL), we next have a question about our truck's tag registration requirements.
    Our F-250 has a GVWR plate of 8800 though the axles WR is much higher combined.
    Our 36' flatbed trailer is a 2 axle with a GVWR plate of 14,000. I was told the additional WR of the 10PR tires would make the GVWR more for the trailer? Also, I've been advised to register the truck tag for a 26,000 WR which is actually over the 'true' GVCWR (22,800) of our truck with trailer. Confusing? darn right it is ;-)

Just want some advice before waiting in line at the Tag Office :)
    Ya'll take care & stay safe out there~

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Do you have a CDL?
    What do you plan to move with your combination?
    Yes on the 10 ply tires don't buy cheap tires!
    Now put all your gear in the truck and on the trailer that you're going to use take it full of fuel and get it weighed subtract that weight from your 22800 and that's how much weight you can haul

garkeller Thanks this.
  4. garkeller

garkeller Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Thanks for the reply! We are going to transport general merchandise for right now, possibly autos on the horizon depending on the brokers we partner up with. My wife & I only have CDL-B's so we're restricted to under 26,001 having the over 10k heavy trailer. We're going to load ourselves, fuel and gear, & gonna throw a couple of full livestock feed bags in the back seat to compensate for baggage/food/clothes for the scales (We live pretty close to the 301 Truckstop near I-4 in Tampa). We've made sure to have the LT H/T 10PR on both the truck and trailer as we've been told that's minimum for hotshotting loads around. If the creek don't rise, we'd like to invest in a 5-pack auto carrier in the future. Have a nice weekend!

5. LGarrison

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    You're going to need a bunch bigger truck if you're going to do five units on a trailer at three quarter ton just won't cut it

6. garkeller

garkeller Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Sorry for the confusion, we're only going to do general freight with the 3/4 ton and trailer (or no more than 2 autos), then pass that unit off to our son in the future and buy a 5-pack rig with a sleeper for me and my better half to transport with ;-) We can run that 5 pack as it's a straight truck and our B's can go any weight as long as it's a single rig :D

7. garkeller

garkeller Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    By the way, that's a great picture you have for your avatar...is it a Husky or hybrid...we've got a wolf-hybrid with a very similar look~

8. LGarrison

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    My dog Dozer is Malamute and wolf he's 10 years old

garkeller Thanks this.
  9. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    I would recommend 10 ply tires for durability but thats not going to have any effect on the weight rating of the trailer. Dot will go by the 14k rating the manufacturer set. They may check individual components like tires and axels to ensure their weight ratings add up to at least 14k but anything over that doesn't matter.

As for registration, 26k is just a nice round number to deal with. Depending on your state, you can usually register your vehicle at different weight increments above 26k but I don't know about below that. You at least want a tag high enough to cover your truck and trailer's combined weight rating to maximize its use but registering at or below 26k allows you to avoid dealing with IFTA for now.

Hope that helps

garkeller Thanks this.
  10. garkeller

garkeller Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Thank you so much CTS! We just visited Denver a month ago, just beautiful there...had a fantastic time & joined the 14k club on Mt Evans with our little Fiat 500.
    You also confirmed what others have told us locally. In FL, our tag office has levels of weight class registration for the truck tag, the one that covers us is something like 18k - 26k & that's the one we'll classify at for our setup. Monday, we're going to the CAT scales loaded with fuel, gear, supplies, couple of bags of sweetfeed, & our Basset Hound and weigh in to know just how much we can load up to our 22800, so we don't get frowned at early-on at a weight stations ;-)

Chasingthesky Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.