Hourly over mileage. Maybe some day?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by skinnytrucker79, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Drivers are not dropping fast, if a company has to have a signing bonus, then they need to review their company and its image.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    I believe paying by the hour would address the detention time,drivers would be getting for all the time they are working.

4. skinnytrucker79

skinnytrucker79 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I don’t know why, we are NOT a mega , our trucks do 72 (we did get turned down to 68 for a while because of some heavy foot super truckers through Chicago) that problem was taken care of , I can’t complain about the pay , but how many drivers think they should all be making $100k + , I know they don’t tolerate lazy drivers that need their hands held but they also don’t push a driver , if he or she says they are tied their is no arguing driver safety , no one wants to be Regional / OTR anymore , last interview I was in on the driver was God’s gift to trucking, he wanted 80k a year and a brand new truck and would only run Monday - Friday, only southern states (no north east) he didn’t get the job

REO6205 Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Are you sure about that? Are you sure a company is going to pay you for 3 hours while you play on your laptop as you're being unloaded?

Me thinks probably not gonna happen.

6. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    I'm on hourly and I did the math to compare. I average 57 cpm .

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    I put all my guys on Hourly on March 1st, I am paying them 22.00 across the board, whether that is loading, unloading, sitting in line at the truck wash, fueling, walking around an auction, pre trip etc.

So far, so good, they are grossing around the 1600.00 mark, (roughly an extra 150.00 per week) and I get a sense that my equipment is being taken better care of, and nobody is fudging their on duty/off duty time, I am also in return have not had a damage claim, or a dirty truck and guys are a lot more forgiving if we have a small wait time to add another piece to the load. I just hope it all evens out at the end of the year....................

sevenmph, tinytim, Dave_in_AZ and 7 others Thank this.
  8. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    That's one of the problems with the hourly model for otr drivers, the question of what gets paid. Do you get paid to sit and talk to your wife or play video games while getting loaded? What if that load time extends to ten hours while you are sleeping and becomes your ten hour break?

What about the time you spend waiting on a load after getting unloaded? What if that period of time turns into your ten hour break?

skinnytrucker79 Thanks this.
  9. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Then you'll see just how often they CAN manage to get you home.
    Those lanes just magically opened up !!

10. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    Its not the drivers fault he has to sit for three hours.If you were working any other profession once you start to work you get paid until you go home. I take the example of heavy equipment operators,can you you tell one of them after they start working that your not ready for them and to sit three more hours ,and oh you won't be getting paid for it.I think not.

11. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    I can't believe how brainwashed truckers have become.They think they should only be getting paid when the truck is moving.That's like working at a factory and only getting paid when the assembly line is moving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.