Hourly over mileage. Maybe some day?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by skinnytrucker79, Apr 9, 2018.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    The same reason no other industry does. Truck drivers are not some special case, many industries have employees that travel for days at a time while performing their job duties.

Long FLD, KANSAS TRANSIT and ChaoSS Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Those heavy equipment operators might end up sitting in the hotel room without getting paid for it though.

4. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    When it comes to local work, it's a no brainer that hourly pay is typically the best way to pay. However, regardless of what I personally believe, when it comes to regional and otr, there's just too much grey area when it comes to loading, unloading, detention times etc, where I can see companies making quite a strong case for NOT paying by the hour.

STexan and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  5. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Yes, we have already had to make so "adjustments" as to what is on duty and what is off duty.

TheyCallMeDave Thanks this.
  6. Mike_77

Mike_77 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Years ago I drove for a quasi private carrier (grocery), my job description had me hauling brokered refrigerated head hauls to get the truck to the suppliers grocery and produce warehouses, and then back hauling the private load to my employers warehouses and stores. We were payed hourly from when we logged on duty ( log book doubled as time card). If something came up that took longer than normal we would just report it to mangament. After a driver became established and trusted this reporting requirement faded away. Once again this was 12 years ago, I was at the time making $45,000 FOR ALL HOURS WORKED with good benefits. My work week was around 55 hours , and I was home four nights a week. This company had almost no turnover and they still operate this way today. I feel the job described above would be comparable to a regional for-hire refrigerated truck load job.

I believe the for-hire trucking companies have made the business decision that paying the minimum mileage rate to staff trucks (and dealing with turnover ) is more advantageous to their bottom line when compared to the pay structure I described above. It's my belief if there truly was a driver shortage you would see most truckload carriers changing their pay structure, but their not. The supposed driver shortage crisis is manufactured by the ATA and related organizations to gain political favors in DC and state capitals, nothing more.

7. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I made about $300 a day this past week, and while some might consider driving "work" I honestly don't, not unless it's Chicago/Toronto rush hour traffic. Now, if I worked regionally, I'd be driving less, spending half or three-quarters of the day throwing straps and tarps, sweating like a pig and getting paid hourly for $220-250 a day.

I'll take more money for less work, thanks.

TheyCallMeDave and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I asked you not to share that interview.

9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    All I know is teamsters are bad. Yep bad teamsters.
    The owners of the mega's are good though, always looking out for the driver.

murat Thanks this.
  10. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    When you pull into a companies parking lot note what type of vehicles the management drive. Then look at the employees cars.

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    You mean the new CTS vs the '89 Ranger?

Canned Spam and okiedokie Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.