Housing Suggestions for A OTR Couple

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BDBrown, Nov 8, 2018.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I like the idea of having a small travel trailer in a long term rv park. They will manage your mail and packages and you’ll have a place to call home that can easily be relocated if need be.

Some even have gated entry, covered parking, private storage shed and washer dryer hookups. Just need to find one that has space to park a truck and trailer nearby and preferably in the south where you don’t have freezing issues.

The long term rv crowd is very trustworthy and will keep an eye on your property.

This is one example and nothing says you actually have to have a trailer parked on site as long is you pay the rent

Windsor Place RV Estates - Athens TX, East Texas

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Last March I saw your post and redomiciled myself from the Northeast to Texas using the Escapees RV club. I followed the instructions this couple laid out:

Becoming Texans via Escapees RV Club

BDBrown, RedRover and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Nice to learn of your success; congratulations. Hope your career is going well.
    That's a great site you posted and has links to good YouTube sites about the subject.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  5. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    I am not far from Athens. Lovely place. If you head just west of there a bit, the property values become a lot more reasonable lol.

6. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    I have a friend who's going to be letting us use his address. He's going to store some of our stuff on his property, and we can mail him stuff we buy along the way. He can open and send us pics of important mail, and we can get it forwarded to us if needed.

7. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    would this work for truckers with no personal car ?

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It's South Dakota that's easy to establish residence in. You can do everything EXCEPT getting a SD driver's license through the mail and internet. The DL requires an in-person visit. You pay a Mail Forwarding Service and they give you an address. They provide various levels of service, up to taking a picture and emailing it to you for every thing that comes to your box. Some will even go renew your automobile registration in person while you are on the road.

I recommend the OP go to YouTube and enter mail forwarding services or RV & mail. There is a lot of help for this situation.

The OP can also get a P.O. Box from places like UPS Store and FedEx Office, etc. You get a "street address" like
    15 Elm Street
    Suite 408
    Mayberry, SD 123456

BDBrown and Metallica88 Thank this.
  9. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I don't see why not. I already had my car with out of state plates up in Dallas at my company terminal, so I drove it down to Polk County where Escapees is located and registered it there. No emissions testing or long lines in that county. The only drawback ( I think) is that I have to drive my car down there from Dallas every year to get it inspected since it is registered there. But I am not sure. Also keep in mind the RV park is not suitable for 18 wheelers. I had my car with me and at every step of the sign up process I was flashing a wad of crisp clean bills to the lady so she knew I was there to help them sustain their livelihood and be an asset to my new community. It's a poor county, so money talks. At one point she casually asked me if I had my fifth wheel with me and I told her no I had it parked in Dallas, which was true. I didn't tell her I was a trucker, and she didn't ask.

Chinatown, tscottme and Metallica88 Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  11. BDBrown

BDBrown Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2018
    I greatly appreciate all the input thus far on the potential for RV possibilities! I’ll be looking into them and bring them up with my husband when he’s here. Any other ideas as well? I’d like to get a wide scope of possibilities if I can!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.