How are you enjoying UPSF?

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by davenjeip, Aug 28, 2010.

1. davenjeip

davenjeip Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    Got the phone call today and I just got hired by UPSF to run a regional route.

Worked as a seasonal jockey this Christmas season, so I am a little familiar with UPS as a company, but not all that much.

Wondering what y'all are thinking of your jobs there, and maybe be able to give me a little idea of what to expect from them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Truckload or LTL,....

There is a big difference between the two,....

4. davenjeip

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    Guess you might consider it LTL, although it's a little different than what I normally picture as LTL since my load would all come from one place. I would just be delivering that load to several different locations.

5. davenjeip

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    Going to update this, since there isn't a whole lot of information on UPSF on this forum and it might help someone else who is looking to work for them.

Been working here for a week and a half. I'm doing what they consider truckload Special Services Division (SSD) hauling plumbing products.

I'm home every weekend, and it looks like it's going to be common to make it home at least once during the week. I park at a terminal about 120 miles from where I am based out of, so that makes things harder. The guys who live close to the terminal make it home at least two nights a week, and we have some who are home every single night. Still hard being away from my wife and dog, but we can see the big picture and how this is moving us towards the big dreams we have for the next few years, so we are dealing with it.

Company has been treating me great so far and I am really enjoying it, despite trying to get used to an odd schedule where I start running at 1 am. That is more of a getting used to an OTR/Regional lifestyle than any problems I may have with the company.

Ended up with about 1,800 miles for the first full week (have my mileage info, but just need to add it all up) with what should be a guesstimated $250 in stop and tailgating pay. Mileage will improve once they have a little more faith in me being able to make it to a destination on time, and I get better at working the system and HOS. CPM is excellent for my experience, since all I have done before is local work and nobody else wanted to give me any credit for it.

Truck is a POS Volvo with a Cummins and a Super 10 with close to 600,000 miles on it. Can't rag on the company for the truck, since I am the noob and should get the worst truck in the fleet. It was an absolute mess when I got it, and I still can't believe that the last driver could live in those conditions, but it's getting cleaner by the day. Mechanically sound and it just had a ton of work done to it from being wrecked in the front (which is how I got the job). Needs some minor items fixed, but it shouldn't take much to have a truck where everything works. Only reason it isn't in the shop right is that I wanted the key for the weekend, so I can have a spare made in case I lock myself out.

They allowed me to go out without any training, so it's kind of tough learning things on my own, but I think it's a lot better than being stuck in a small truck with someone else. Actually, I think the guy who tested me got the impression I knew more than I did, but he also seemed impressed that I was aware of everything I was doing wrong with my driving (had been 3.5 years since I had driven and 7-ish since I had to shift) and had the answers as to what I needed to do to fix it. Only issue I have is that they don't just provide me with information, so I have to make it a point to ask for it, but I think that comes from them assuming I know those answers already.

As I am right now, I am very happy here. Think that of all the 100 applications I put out in the past year, this one will be the best choice.

6. ghostrider_

ghostrider_ Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Berlin, MD
    hey daven, just wondering how things are going with UPSF? I'm going through all the background stuff now, supposed to start in a few weeks. Are you running out of Front Royal?

TJ

7. davenjeip

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl

Still love it. They treat me great and I'm making good money. Seems that the secret to being successful there is as simple as just doing your job to the best of your ability.

I do run out of there, but have been covering stuff on another one of our accounts lately, so I haven't had a whole lot to do with that place in a while other than just stopping in to turn in my paperwork. Should be back there before too long.

8. RJ33RD

RJ33RD Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I live in Baltimore md where do you'll park your trucks at I know its a ups freight in Baltimore.

9. 7122894003481

7122894003481 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Im on the LTL side. Dave it sounds like you are on the truckload side. I dont know too much about that side of things.

10. davenjeip

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    Elkridge on Washington blvd.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.