How as the D13 TC after 500k miles, common issues, Bulletproofing?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Joeziah, May 16, 2024.

1. Joeziah

Joeziah Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Looking for a general consensus on this particular engine, particularly when paired with the I-shift.

I'm considering purchasing a newer (to me) truck that will likely be out of warranty. What would/should I expect for common failures, especially after 500k models.

When are they needing to be rebuilt generally, assuming a 15k oil change interval has been followed.

Are they common problems that can be bulletproofed (Thinking things like bullgear pins)

Are they having major issues with the regen systems (not owner caused from excessive idling or interrupted regens or lack of maintainance)

Currently have a 3406/C15 cat which has been very SIMPLE and reliable, and on the rare occasional something breaks, its easy to find a non dealership mechanic to fix it and the parts are generally reasonable.

What is the cost on an out of frame at a dealership on one of these. Parts availability etc.

Trucks I'm considering are 860s.

Thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    The biggest issue with these trucks with TC is that they are spec'd wrong for that motor. If you can get one used with 2.4's overdrive with I shift 12 speed that would be the best case set up. You will notice the new Volvos are 13 Speed I shift and 2.15's or so RAR. The reason is that engine set up wants to run 900-1000 at most of the time. The higher RPM's cause more issues with after treatment side.

I have a 23 VNL 860 but with the D13 500 HP and 12 Speed Ishift with 2.79 RAR. Has 220K on it and runs great. Only problems I have seen is with clamps and had an issue with alignment but caused by the ungodly Interstates in IN and OH.

Joeziah Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.