How can I fight an "inattentive driving" citation in my case?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CynDonn, Oct 8, 2018.

1. CynDonn

CynDonn Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Driving a loaded CMV Hazmat tanker through a construction zone. Dark and rain. Oncoming traffic lights shining into my eyes because of the lane layout. Road itself was not visible in that stretch and there was no place to pull off. Driving 30mph in a posted 40mph. No flagger. No traffic control signs. No reflective lines on the asphalt. 18" of asphalt to the right of the fog line, then soft shoulder that graded down 45 degrees immediately after the asphalt. Two-lane road curved gentle right, then hard left 6', then straight. My right steer tire went onto the soft shoulder at the hard left. I immediately stopped and hit my flashers. My steer and right tandem tires sunk into the shoulder and the vehicle slid off the road. Cop cited me for inattentive driving. Fight it? With what? As a driver, I have a perfect MVR and record with my company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Lawyer up and if you have dash cam footage show the problems to that state transportation office so they can do better jobs at them construction site. You have the hurry get the construction done quickly that lags on safety and sometimes they need a little nudge to get it safer.

sevenmph and fargonaz Thank this.
  4. CynDonn

CynDonn Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2018
    My truck didn't have a dash cam.

5. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Contest everything.

sevenmph, Woodys and Cat sdp Thank this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you were so very explicit in your details here, you had better be as much so to a lawyer, if you want to fight this.

good luck.

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  7. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    It should be on every truck you drive, do not trust company ones, buy your own, it is a necessary expense with the roads now. It slows down the finger pointing and protects your butt.

snowlauncher, 06driver and fargonaz Thank this.
  8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Get legal representation. Tell them the full true story. Have them take it to the courts. The attorney should be able to talk to the prosecutor, might get it tossed or at least reduced to something less.

snowlauncher and Woodys Thank this.
  9. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You may call Roadlaw at 888 276 8000 and tell like it happened they will send a lawyer from that area to defend you.

10. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Is possible go back and take pictures of the spot too

11. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    If you were the only one having trouble it might be a problem that needs attention, there is glasses that reduce that glare from oncoming lights which should be used with all them new bright lights on every vehicle. Try to find others who were having the same trouble at that spot, that way if a few come forward they know they have a problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.