How can I get out of driving this POS truck?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by greenllll, Sep 22, 2011.

1. greenllll

greenllll Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Albino, TX
    I just got on with a new company, hauling cars, and they want me to drive a truck that stalled 15 times on the 30 minute drive to the repair shop. I heard it has a fuel injector that is stuck, and my company won't pay to have it fixed. They want me to drive it as it is.
    It wants to stall when it gets to a red-light, or a stop-sign. I had to give it a lot of gas in idle to keep it from stalling, but that makes it difficult to get into 1st gear, in high idle, from a complete stop. Usually it stalls and I end up turning the starter for 10 seconds and slowly giving it fuel before the engine turns again. My company wants me to start out driving a car hauler with a design I'm not used to, that is much longer than most conventional 18-wheelers. It's a cab-over, and it stalls a easily. My question is:
    How can I make them either fix this truck or get me one that runs well?
    How can I get drive a truck with a stuck fuel injector?

Can you imagine what I would do in heavy traffic, or stalling as I drive slow on weigh stations?
    Quiting is not an option. I had to call over & over to get this job and I want to prove myself. I really want this job. Not too many companys are willing to take in completely inexperienced car-haulers, and I want to learn to do this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Pull into the nearest Scale-House and request a full inspection. That aught to "RED-TAG" the truck. Company will be forced to repair it

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

andy and Lonesome Thank this.
  4. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    You and only you, have the power NOT to get IN the truck if it is unsafe to drive.

Tazz, Southpaw7391 and aiwiron Thank this.
  5. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    Tell them NO !

Tazz and Southpaw7391 Thank this.
  6. popmartian

popmartian Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    FMCSA Rule § 396.7 Unsafe operations forbidden. (a) General. A motor vehicle shall not be operated in such a condition as to likely cause an accident or a breakdown of the vehicle. (b) Exemption. Any motor vehicle discovered to be in an unsafe condition while being operated on the highway may be continued in operation only to the nearest place where repairs can safely be effected. Such operation shall be conducted only if it is less hazardous to the public than to permit the vehicle to remain on the highway.

This is the rule for Motor Carriers, Drivers are to report any defects before driving, during a pre-trip inspection. If you continue to drive, You could be sited for careless operation by a DOT officer. Then the Vehicle will be placed OOS. You and your company will be responsible to show it has been fixed before you can operate it. Driving while it is Flagged OSS will result in another violation. Explain this to your supervisor and tell them the truck needs repairing as soon as possible. My advise is to work with your company and try to find a solution before you are placed OOS and given a citation for careless operation. It is in the best interest of you and your companies safety record. If your supervisior refuses to repair it, you must document the following, the persons name, title, place and time they refused to comply to your request. Then call that persons supervisor and give them details, including date and time of the breakdowns. If this manager refuses, Stop Driving and report it to them document time place and person you spoke to. They have two options, fix it or assign another truck to you. Quiting your job over a engine repair should be considered the last option.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  7. Elvenhome21

Elvenhome21 Heavy Load Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Sheboygan, WI
    and screw up his dac report while hes at it to.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    If the truck is only stalling when you come to a stop then I don't think that is dangerous. It is inconvenient. I don't recall ever having a fuel injector get stuck. In fact, I don't remember hearing of such a thing happening. If that is the case, you may try putting some injector cleaner in the fuel. Transmission fluid is good to clean injectors. It might only be a small piece of debris that got stuck in the injector, if that is the problem. The company may want to see if the problem will correct itself without having to spend $800-1,000 to replace an injector. Unless the truck is quiting going down the highway I don't see that it is dangerous. If it were my trucks I would want to know what was going on with it. I would pursue the repairs up the chain of command.

9. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

One injector failing should not cause it to completely stall at idle.
    It should miss and run like crap.
    At least that is my experience with a failed injector.

10. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Fuel injectors can become stuck, fuel treatment will not help since it is a defective mechanical part of the injector.

11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

I have had injectors go bad, but never had one to stick. The company should get it repaired.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.