how can i get Wifi in my truck

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by HammerDownISX, May 4, 2014.

1. HammerDownISX

HammerDownISX Bobtail Member

May 4, 2014
    Chicago IL
    hey drivers ive been wondering how to get wifi in my truck does anyone know of a good affordable company that offers wifi for us truckers on the road im looking to have signal at any location i may be in the 48 states

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    if you have a smartphone. you have that capability. and that's where you get your wifi from.

if you dno't have a smartphone. you look for wifi or air cards. for your laptop.

by smartphone. i don't mean your basic dumb phone that has internet. i mean android, iphone, or windows operated phone.

4. HammerDownISX

May 4, 2014
    Chicago IL
    yeah i have an iphone with Verizon and it gets too expensive to tether it because Verizon doesn't offer unlimited internet access but they have the best service so i kinda need to have them asmy phone carrier so i can have service in the middle of nowhere

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    there is a lot of nowhere that verizon doesn't have service.

there are apps. and ways to tether your phone without actually paying verizon for the service. but if you just recently got the phone. chances are. mobile hotspot is already included in your pricing plan.

we all have limited data. cept for those that were grandfathered from that timeframe when verizon actually offered unlimited.

do a google for tethering your iphone. you might get an answer faster then this forum. must truckers are in bed by now. specially on the east coast.

HammerDownISX Thanks this.
  6. HammerDownISX

May 4, 2014
    Chicago IL
    i will look into that thanks

7. Plan-B Trucking

Plan-B Trucking Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I am not a trucker, but I do own a small business where I do a lot of driving and spend a lot of time in what seems like the middle of nowhere. To run my business I need reliable internet access with decent upload/download speeds for both my laptop and iPhone. (Tethering just doesn't work for me.)

In short - I need cellphone reception and internet access "anytime, anywhere".

Verizon is the only cellular carrier that has been able to provide the coverage and reliability I need.
    AT&T could not even come close.

So, I am using Verizon for my iPhone and also have a separate Verizon Jetpack 4G for my laptop.

Sure my Verizon bill is over $120 per month, but that is a price I willingly pay for the service and availability
    I need to run my business on the road.

GITRDUN45 and gpsman Thank this.
  8. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Look into getting a wireless 4g celluar modem. They work off of sim cards from your carrier, a bit costly up front, but are very reliable. I have one in my company vehicle that is 3g and works great.

9. zmpart

zmpart Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2010
    millenicom offers a hotspot device that runs on verizon networks 20gb per month for like 80 or 90 bucks. 3g/4g i get good service everywhere i go with it.

jmprKble Thanks this.
  10. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    Go to WalMart.com and look for "Straight Talk mobile hot spot." Some Wal MArts carry them, some don't. It's $80.00 for the hot spot. It is no contract, 3G coverage on Verizon towers. I pay $50.00 for 5 gigs, lasts me about a month. I don't stream videos, or down load big stuff. If I did, it wouldn't last long. No overages either.

11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    If it has a SIM card it works off GSM towers like ATT and T-mobile.

Works off GSM, TDMA, CDMA, PCS, EVDO and LTE. Very versatile solution but you pay for it. $90/mo. It'll work here where I live in the middle of nowhere. If it works here it's good. If you use 20 gigs a month you are a bad addict! I think that's more for a family as 10 devices can hook to it. Sorry kids dad is taking the wifi on the road! :)

Best value deal as the Verizon CDMA network is the best individual network but you get the perks without the cost with StraightTalk. The downside to them is their customer service sucks if you have a problem. If you ever do have a problem use their Facebook page for help instead of their website or phone. The CSRs on there are much better getting you fixed. Like freightlinerman said as long as you aren't constantly streaming videos and downloading movies a heavy surfer will use around 4-5 gigs a month.

You could also buy something like an iPad mini and pay a one time fee of $400 and it's free lifetime usage. But who keeps a device forever with ever changing technology?

GITRDUN45 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.