How can you tell if the EGR has been deleted?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rulonwaholla, Jan 19, 2019.

1. rulonwaholla

rulonwaholla Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I bought a 05 volvo d12. Im trying to figure out if the EGR is deleted. how can i tell??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Take it to someone with a computer and the software to plug in to it.

rulonwaholla Thanks this.
  4. jlafume

jlafume Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Victorville,Ca
    Unplug the egr an see it u get a check engine light. If nothing happens its deleted

jsnell and rulonwaholla Thank this.
  5. rulonwaholla

Nov 6, 2013
    ok so i guess is not deleted i have EGR codes and check light is on

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You didn't have that at the dealer before you bought it to get the whole picture of what you are buying?

7. rulonwaholla

Nov 6, 2013
    I didnt buy it from the dealer. I bought it from a friend, but he doesnt know either. He bought the truck from someone else.

8. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Look I will be a little mean here, you don't buy without checking it out, taking it to a dealer or some place to have a dyno done on it, an ecm dump and have a mechanic look it over. It don't matter if you buy it from a freind or not, it is a tool to use to make money with so it has to work right all the time from the start. This would have saved you problems later on with issues like this.

9. rulonwaholla

Nov 6, 2013
    i understand what your saying. Was a mistake that had cost me some money. But over here in the East Coast its hard to find a dyno. Now im just trying to figure it out to put it to work

10. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I get it but there are dynos all over the east coast, more than there are here.

I just wish you and others wouldn't have to go through this crap.

I have a guy over here that bought a truck from his brother, his brother screwed him so bad he ended up doing an inframe and a new trans, the truck drove great when he took it for a test drive but when he put it under a load, all kinds of crap happened, it lasted three weeks and had it broke down in rural Indiana under load. I helped him get it back to my yard, had my mechanic looked at it when he was down there and told him all kinds of bad news that could have been avoided.

11. Sdatruckinginc

Sdatruckinginc Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2019
    Check egr tubes on right side of engine off egr should be cool all time if done with a kit will have a small box mounted somewhere in engine compartment that plugs in on left side of engine with two plugs under and behind alternator to replace egr plugs also a small cooling tube on top front of egr cooler will be bypassed and egr temp sensor front bottom of egr cooler will be bypassed

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.