How come trucking companies won't hire inexperience driver for local trucking?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by El_turco_12, Sep 11, 2021.

1. skipgears

skipgears Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    You can't ALL pack into Martin Brower. Last I heard you can now push boxes around at Amazon for a trucker's city wage. And if I could do it all again, it'd be 10 years ago in a UPS truck across the line, where Unions are still somewhat legitimate, and folks respect truckers a tad more. I can't wait to escape this god #### communist waste land. Vote PPC or die.

Canadianhauler21 and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Have you ever watched a green driver trying to get a trailer onto a dock? Now picture that happening a dozen times a day or more in places that aren’t exactly truck friendly. There’s a limited number of hours in a day right.

4. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I don't recommend doing local within the GTA if you have no experience. Unless you got some decent training from a company than I would say do it. It's literally suicide to your CVOR. I had a friend who was lucky enough when he was 18 to get a local trucking job. It was obviously a shady company and he didn't know better, ended up tearing off a couple of hoods in the first year. He's better off now after paying for those hoods at 27 years old.

Personally I've even been to some places in Toronto that were tighter than many places I've been too in the USA. If I was a new driver I wouldn't be sure what to do.

My last company hired a new 27 year old female driver and gave her a nearly brand new truck. Not surprisingly within the first week the truck had so much cosmetic damage to it that we had to send it to the shop. We ended up giving her a beat up international truck.

Bottom line, new drivers are too much of a liability for companies. Especially local companies.

5. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    I don't want anyone learning to drive in my truck. Stuff breaks fast enough now. I can count on one hand, the guys I would let drive.

BigHossVolvo and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  6. Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2021
    We just hired a guy right out of school. Usually need at least 3 years experience. He can't back up and can only drive an automatic. I don't think he will last long trying to get in and out of McDonalds parking lots.

7. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006

How did they new guy pass the road test to begin with .I know back when i started at kriska in 2012 all the trucks were 10 speeds and u failed if you couldn’t drive a manual now my good friend who’s been here close to 3 years can’t drive a stick to save his life was never taught how to in school and all the new trucks except a few trucks are automatic

8. Iron Maiden

Apr 1, 2021
    I don't know. One of our driver trainers told me the company got a government grant to hire him. Martin Brower is not the place to learn on the job. I guess they're that desperate for drivers. It's going to get worse because we have about 8 guys retiring early next year. It's curious that they didn't hire one of the drivers on here with over 2 years experience.

9. skipgears

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    Whut? ..

10. Iron Maiden

Apr 1, 2021
    That's what he told me. I can't see any other way they'd hire someone with no experience.

11. skipgears

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.