How come trucking companies won't hire inexperience driver for local trucking?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by El_turco_12, Sep 11, 2021.

1. skipgears

skipgears Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    Trucking solves one problem of us not having to deal with hazardous co-workers or office-monkey politics, but instead we have to manage suicidal 4-wheelers trying to kill us. That's why I advocate for dedicated commercial transport lanes to provide distant separation. Two one-way lanes for trucks and buses. Full-service dedicated rest-areas every 30 miles. Wide parking lanes with security. And a separate lot for reefers, so they can collectively contribute to each others noise without disturbing my beauty sleep. Oh if I had my way.

mikamikael and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Iampa

Iampa Light Load Member

May 4, 2021
    Henderson NV
    I quit!

4. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    I was hired to haul gas local straight out of school.
    I'm older than most, have experience in parallel skills, and graduated near the top of my class.
    We also have a handful of squeaky new young drivers hired from school.
    Guess where 90% of the incidents come from?
    2 new drivers in a fleet of 18.
    They cross drop, drop at the wrong customer, hit bollards, tear equipment up, and fuss at dispatch because they're getting loads they don't like.
    One decided she was gonna come in my truck at the loading rack, and just invited herself aboard.
    She got pissy because I told her to go back to her truck and get the heck off mine.
    Didn't knock, didn't ask, just came up.
    I find that disrespectful, thank you.
    New drivers, in most cases, are still trying to find their hind end in a truck.
    Still don't grasp the necessary dimensional awareness, how the trailer will track, where the back end is, and taking ownership of their ship effectively.
    They can't back effectively, because they lack experience.
    They're creating problems others have to dig them out of daily.
    One new girl at least has the intelligence to call someone before she gets into problems. I give her credit.
    She's called me a few times very early to ask how to handle situations she was confused with BEFORE she had a problem.
    That's how it's done.
    I'll help anyone that asks, mostly because it demonstrates an awareness of the situation that they need more info to handle.
    It's not that they're not capable... they just don't have the experience to get through it.
    Even I call other drivers on occasion to ensure I'm getting it right.
    I certainly don't have all the answers, but collectively, we can handle anything.
    Funny thing though.... I'm usually the one that gets sent to new customers first to set up the locators and create the knowledge base for others to follow.
    Being new isn't a crime.
    Being an idiot should be at least a misdemeanor.
    Go do something easier than local to gain some experience.
    Long haul, regional, both offer that experience, and you learn how to handle things that will help you when you go local.
    Then you'll really learn what you're made of.

5. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I've been looking for a local driving job too for months now. These incompetent companies that use Indeed, Monster, Career Builder don't work.
    Can drive anything CDL A since 1999

6. TNSquire

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    It works when you apply, then follow up with a phone call within 2 days.
    They'll look at the barrage of applications, and scan over them quickly... and maybe they'll select a couple for interview.
    Making that call moves you to the front of the line.
    It says you're interested, and not just using the spaghetti theory... throwing a pile against the wall to see what sticks.
    You'll get the junk offers that way.
    Adulting 101 says the more professional you present yourself, the better impression you make.
    The better impression you make, the better job you get.

7. skipgears

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    I don't even email for call. I just walk right in there, in person. Got my resume and abstract in hand and ask to speak with someone in position to hire. Next thing I know I'm behind the wheel doing a road test, and soon after that I see paychecks. Or at least that's how it used to be back in the day. Unsure if that'd still work in today's times. But the way I see it, if yer a good enough man and show some confidence, there's always work out there.

8. TNSquire

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    Victory always goes to those who want it most.
    Those who are willing to go a little further, step a little higher, drive a little harder.
    Having been on the hiring end of things for 15 years, here's a little insight...
    Anyone willing to call, or better yet knock on doors, is someone I want in my team.
    It tells me you're actually interested.
    It tells me you're wanting more info on how my team can help you get where you wanna go in life.
    While my team is similar to others in the industry, we're also unique in our own ways. We need to Guage whether you'll be an asset or liability to the team.
    You're doing the same with us.
    I want and need folks that will come in every day, do their job with diligence, respect, and earn their pay with honest efforts.
    I'm buying your time and skills, and I pay well for them. I expect fair return for my investing in you.
    You're investing in me as well. You're hiring me to lead you forward.
    Combining our skills, we become more than two individuals.
    We become a team, where everyone helps each other succeed, which creates an even bigger win for us all.
    I cut out under performers fast.
    They do more harm than good.
    Butts in seats doesn't always get us ahead.
    Keeping a turd on the team can cause talent to leave, without explanation.
    Which side of that equation do YOU want to be on?

9. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Wrong. Southern States hauling propane, manager didn't show up for the interview.

Builders First Source, didn't have a truck available for me to drive.

Roll off trash company, the manager left work early and forgot about the job interview.

Allied Concrete, sent an email asking when they could reach me. Never called me.

Wal-Mart manager again couldn't make the interview.

Republic Delivery Services asked to fill out an application, I replied back saying the website says, 404 Page Not Found.

These people running these businesses are not competent to manage nothing

TNSquire Thanks this.
  10. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Say, for example, You had an Electrical Components Installation Company.
    Would You hire someone with ZERO EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE/TOOLS??

11. skipgears

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    Oh so yer one of the very few that still gives a ####, nice. We need you to spread across far and wide cause as you may have noticed from the post directly below yours was a fellow speaking out some harder truths. And that holds true around here as well. We have crappy drivers mostly in result of crappy companies that just don't care. So it's a net loss for both sides. Ignorance accelerated. We need that old-school mentality to return to the industry.

TNSquire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.