How did mobile mechanic slide defective 5th wheel?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by expedite_it, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    WD 40 lube, and tap tap tap.

Once I set my 5th wheel I don't move them again, You really don't need th mess with the 5th wheel once it's set correctly.I normally set it 1 click, notch, a pinch behide center of the drives.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The rails can get so rusty, inside, that they’ll never move. My first Truck was that way. It was only 4 yrs old, but had been wrecked and used as a Yard Dog. We tried everything, it’s a wonder I didn’t snap a u joint, or burn up the clutch.No one could believe it. Once I figured it out, I bought a whole brand new fifth wheel, complete with base. Only $1100 back then. Had to use a big grinder and a cutting wheel to remove the old one in pieces. It was rust welded together. Rails were still good, once cleaned up.

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    When I was in the fertilizer industry we had big problems with the sliders rusting like that. The best way we found to get them to move was to do it without the trailer connected, using bars and hammers. We would first pressure was the slider at point blank range, being sure to get in all the books and crannies around and under the pins. Then we would oil the crap out of them with really good penetrating oil. Then it was a matter of knocking the pins to disengage. Once the pins were loose the plate would usually slide pretty easy with a 4 foot bar to pry it an inch or 2 at a time, working one side then the other.

If we replaced the slider each time we would go through 2 or 3 each year for each truck... So we had to figure out how to break them loose.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Got to move em every so often. I tried everything, soaking it, acid soak, beating it with a sledge, it was rusted so bad, no go. My Dad, a coupe friends tried. Each one claiming,”I’ll get it to slide” Lol. It was impossible. Later found out it had been wrecked and sat around outside for a coupe years. It had a few more problems related to sitting, to iron out. It all made sense. Including the brand new looking paint, and the bargain price. All in all it was a great Truck.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  6. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    I just searched for "How to grease the 5th wheel" on youtube. I only was able to find two videos on this. The guys who made each of these videos only lubricated the plate of the 5th wheel, not the tracks or the pins of the fifth wheel. Any thoughts on that?

7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I might coat of penetrating oil is all you want... Anything more attracts grime, and it will get stuck again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.