How did you get your start in Heavy Haul

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Ignotbullet, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Ignotbullet

Ignotbullet Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2019
    How did you guys get your start in heavy haul? How long have you been doing it? Anyone on here in their late 20's early 30's?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 03machwon

03machwon Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    I'm 30...been doing it just over 4 years. Not much to it to get started. Just pick a heavy haul company n get to work lol

4. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    In Jan. 1978, I quit a good paying petroleum hauling gig when I was offered a job driving the truck in my avatar. Moving oil drilling rigs, const. equip, drill pipe, Baker tanks, winching and such. The senior driver did most of the equipment moves til I learned the ropes. That was a good start. Almost 42 years ago. Back then,there were a lot of things done that wouldn't be done now, we learned a lot of what ""not to do". These days a crane co., or equipment rental yards is a good start.

5. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    I got into it in 87 by luck.Been between that and flatbedding ever since.

Ignotbullet Thanks this.
  6. Ignotbullet

Ignotbullet Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2019
    Oh I agree about getting to work but heavy haul companies wont touch you around here without three years heavy haul experience. It's kinda a catch 22. Cant get started tell you have experience and cant get experience because you don't have it to start with.

7. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    If you cant strait away get a heavy haul gig you could try all your local graders and pavers.
    Get a key for every piece of equipment and learn to load them all. On that level a driver that can load his self is handy so it dont short a crew somewhere else of an important operator 30 miles away.
    Theres always places where you have to have flaggers to load also.
    One of the trickiest things to do is to sit in the highway and side load a 68,000 lb Cat 330 when its setting 6ft lower than the pavement.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The outfit I hauled for doesn’t do heavy haul exclusively. They do basic open deck work as well. Flatbeds are needed anyway for such things as crane parts like boom sections, sheaves, and counterweights. So new guys there get those loads to start off with.

9. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Works the same by us. New drivers start with the legal stuff and work into big loads.

10. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    I started doing some heavy haul not long after starting at the company I work for.

I started at 31, now almost 38.

Only had AZ for a couple months then but started with over-dimension loads first.

The guy that did heavy haul with us was going to retire a few years after so I learned from him and another driver that did float/lowboy.

Both guys are gone, retired. I’m doing both heavy flat, step deck, b-train and float/lowboy. We also got our first tri-axle live bottom 2 years ago.

Live bottom may not be quite heavy haul with only 36 metric tons, but when off-road, it makes the truck work really hard.

D.Tibbitt and cke Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.