How do big companies operate?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by truckingquestions, Jun 22, 2020.

1. truckingquestions

truckingquestions Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2019
    I currently work in a family business where my dad hires on owner operators and has two or three company trucks. In our establishment, the OOs tell him what they want to run, how much weight they are willing to carry, and how much money they want for a load. Which I believe to be harder on the business and for him to dispatch.

In larger companies like landstar, ch Robinson, jb hunt, etc. How does it work there for OO and company drivers? Do they get to tell their boss what they want? Is there a load list they can pull from? Or do they have to run what they are told? Thanks in advance for the input!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Those are hard questions to answer without knowing what you haul and where you run. Then we can compare what you're doing with the megas.
    One thing...if your Dad is happy with the way things are going, if you're making money and the business is stable income-wise...leave it alone.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broke, okay?

p608 and Doealex Thank this.
  4. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    As Owner Operators, they are the Boss. They can take the load as is, negotiate for a better rate, or reject the load. To do otherwise makes them an employee. Company drivers are employees and based on their job description, take the loads as assigned to them as long as they are legal and reasonable.

86scotty and Doealex Thank this.
  5. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    Sounds like a recipe for disaster. When an owner operator comes to work for me I explain the rate sheet to him, what we do where we run and the percentages, they say yes or no then. After that it’s load and go.

6. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016

Your dad sounds like a good guy. All the truck owners I know who lease on with companies that let them run the way the want are the happiest.

Guys who get on with Scrooge McMoney on the Brain24/7 PushThemDrivers are not so happy.

As long as the truck is making the motor carrier some money, what's the big deal?

PPDCT Thanks this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    It’s works any which way you can imagine. My guess is your Dad is afraid of losing them so he lets them lean on him pretty hard. His turnover is pretty low I bet though. I personally wouldn’t let someone tell me how to run “their business” when without my business, they are out of business.
    Fact is he may do better for them if he did it without his arms tied behind his back. Or, he may do worse and that’s one reason they have so much say.

86scotty Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.