How do I go about financing the truck?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by chris_karr, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I was thinking around $50 k an 500 k miles

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    In 2 yrs their will be a bunch of repos 2 yr old 300 k or less for $75k at auction. Still under warranty

SteerTire Thanks this.
  4. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Why? You’re going to have the downtime and repairs associated to go along with that cost also. Sure, if you’re good with a wrench. You can save a lot of money. How good are you with electronic diagnostics? That’s the reality we live in now.

If the previous owner slacked his maintenance. You could be looking at an inframe or crate within the next 18-24 months. If not sooner. And now we’re dealing with emissions controls :/

I realize there are a lot of O/O with vast pools of knowledge, lengthy careers, their own shop and tools. But these things were built over time. It didn’t happen on day one, unless their dad left some things for them. And it won’t happen on week 2 for the new guys.

A new truck gives the new guys a bit of wiggle room to learn. And that’s something worth twice the cost of a new truck.

We all start somewhere. And for a 25 year old with a family. Under the hood is not the best place. He’ll get there soon enough.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I just don’t see how anyone can make a living Trucking with a $3000 + payment. Even a new Trucks warranty doesn’t cover downtime.Sometimes increases it while you wait to get into Shop. Having to run constantly for a Truck payment is hard on family Life also. I just don’t think these Trucks are worth the prices. Not enough revenue out there to justify

6. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018

I am definitely on the same boat as you if I was just starting out I would find a 07 or older truck with less emissions on it and run it if you blow a motor in 2 years drop a used crate motor In great condition for 15-20 plus work so probably 25k installed and you still have less money than a years worth of payments on a new truck and a reman in the truck would cost even less than a crate motor people dont need all this technology in the truck to make money my first truck cost me 10 grand in 2008 I ran it for 3 years and made good money on it and learned how to work on a truck and upgraded because I wanted more hp and the old Pete was 20 years old then and its still running strong for the guy that bought it from me

stillwurkin and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. AlBig

AlBig Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2017
    It's there all reedy

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.