How do I know demand in my area?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Letsgetreal, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Letsgetreal

Letsgetreal Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    You can call me dumb or whatever, but my banker asked me for demand in my business in my area?
    I thought of my broker. I told him that he offers me loads, every Sunday and I pick them up.
    But who do I really know the demand for trucks in my area that is needed?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    While not the full picture, you could always research load availability vs truck availability on day for your specific area. both outbound and inbound. Then take that info and put it all on a nice looking graph for your banker.

About that dumb part...i wouldn't go that far. How about lacking business education? enroll in a few business management courses at the local community college. Heck they may even be offered online.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  4. Letsgetreal

Letsgetreal Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Thank you

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The biggest problem with intel on freight lanes and research is that we have a hundred or so (I'm not kidding) load boards both private and public with nothing tying them together.

What we need is a real market for loads and tightening of the broker regulations. The market needs to be centralized and the intel from it needs to be accessible to those like you who want to do the research to leverage your capacity.

Mike2633 and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  6. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    When they start asking you questions like that... Not good for you.

7. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Simple.

Take pics of all the grocery isle products, go to Home Depot take pics of all the lumber..show him. All that stuff did not magically appear. A truck/trailer brought it ---> That's demand right there.

Touch his desk, his computer, grab his collar, hook him up on the door, and tell him all that stuff was on a trailer at some point, and it's a gazillion dollar industry, and you want a piece of it.

Heck, google Warren Buffet, and his purchase of Pilot/Flying J. If WB can see the potential, so can you.

BoostedTeg and BoyWander Thank this.
  8. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Like I stated above, when they ask you stupid questions, you are not getting the loan. ;-)

rollin coal Thanks this.
  9. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    That's why You bring out the baseball bat...

or

Maybe the banker wants to see how badly you want it...and level of creativity to make your case

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    It's real easy at Landstar.
    But for the rest of the world; ask some of the local lizards how business is.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.