How do owner operaters determine thier rates? and if they are getting a good deal

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by FlashBolt, Jun 26, 2017.

1. FlashBolt

FlashBolt Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I work for a owner operator and he does not tell me how he determines his prices he just tells me what it is. I know that you need to know the miles, commodity, weight and locations but how do you know if you are getting the best deal per mile as possible. For example we had a load go out from Houston, TX to Tampa, FL for $1,550 after doing the math that was around $1.58 per mile, i want to know how this rate came to be? why was it $1.58 could we have made more or was that a good deal?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kenworth 4life

Kenworth 4life Medium Load Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Augusta, Maine
    It probably didn't start out at 1500! It probably started at 2500 and the rate cutting started a bidding war till the shipper got a number he liked! That same load last week was probably 1800

4. Bosscity318

Bosscity318 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Bossier City
    Dang that's cheap asf!

5. jlafume

jlafume Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Victorville,Ca
    How much do u get coming put of tampa

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    DAT loadboard will show you the average for the last 90 days. This particular lane is at $1815 average as I just checked. So it seems, that you should have gotten more. At least 100 or 200 more, not to be at the extreme end.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    To give you a rough idea. I like to do $4000 net after fuel expense. Lets say 2500 miles per week for $5000 will give you that amount. So its $1000 gross daily, or $2000 per two days. Assuming you go from one good area to another, you get $1000 each way. If you go from good area to a bad one, for example IN to PA, you get $1500 to go there and come back for $500. By the end of the week you meet your weekly quota and go home for the restart..

Of course there are different variables. Sometimes you can do 300 miles for $600 and get $1200 coming back. Sometimes you deadhead 300 miles to get 900 miles load for $3000. Its all different, but as long as you reach (better to exceed of course) your weekly quota, it does not matter how you did it. The trick is to know how much approximately you can get from different areas, so you know how much to charge when you go in there

In your example, you went from crappy outbound area to even worse area. I personally dont even go to TX or FL, because I know nobody in there will pay the rates I want.
    So you learn which area pays what and book your loads based on that and your weekly $$$ goal
    Lots of people just book anything available on the loadboard and run around, not knowing what they are doing and it sounds like your boss is one of them.

DSK333, Orangees, tscottme and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Bosscity318

Bosscity318 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Bossier City
    I run Amazon from Dallas to Tampa for a little above the freight lane average.

9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Those lane averages can play dirty tricks to your mind and you can miss out on some good stuff. Like Chicago to Detroit average shows about $800 I think, but you can get $900-1200 on a regular basis.

10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Take all your bills at home and add them up for the year, divide by 12 then divide by 4.33 to come up with a weekly number.

Take your business overhead for the year and do the same. Some of the numbers are estimates like fuel and maint.

Add together to come up with a break even number.

If you want to expand your business and retire one day add that number you need to have in the bank at retirement and divide by the years til you do retire and factor that into your break even then never take loads less than break even.

tscottme and Midnightrider909 Thank this.
  11. Fatmando

Fatmando Medium Load Member

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Going out on a limb, here, but he's an employee, being paid a percentage of the load. When this happens, the driver is completely dependent upon the carrier to negotiate a good rate, and he's thinking that his employer isn't a very good negotiator. If I'm reading his situation right, I tend to agree. Either that, or they are telling him that the load pays less than it actually does.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.