How do these people slip thru the cracks ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bzinger, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    No, plenty of truck specific options beat Google Maps. There are truck specific apps if you don't want to pony up for a truck GPS. But I will say nothing beats a trucker's mind that is always staying in the game.

Highway Sailor, tolson and Makeajump Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    I make use of satellite view to find my way around oilfield leases to locations I have never been to. It’s a great tool! Shows pipelines that I need to find at times too!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Me too! But Satellite View can be up to three years out of date.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    The vast majority of people who drive cars drive just well enough to pass the driving test. Once they get their license, they are satisfied. "Why should I apply myself to learning more? I have my license. I can drive." You are licensed and permitted to drive, that doesn't mean you are a good driver. But, this mentality carries on with them as they get their CDLs and attempt to rub shoulders with you and me.

When I went thru the motorcycle safety course, the instructor show this video:

And he told us that, "tomorrow, you will have to be able to do this."

There was no way in Hell that I would be able to make an 800 lb bike behave like a figure skater after a 2 day safety course. The instructor laughed at all the shocked faces and then told us that he was just joking. If you're going to ride, don't you want to be a good rider? The better you are, the safer you are. Right?

It's a no brainer in the motorcycle community. But why do so many who want to truck refuse to put forth more effort in being a better driver? Yes, you will not end up dead as fast as a motorcyclist that rides with the same mentality he has when he's in a car, but don't you want to be good at what you do? The better you are, the more money you make. Even at the bottom feeder companies, the drivers on the top of the pile make 1.5-2x the money the average driver does. In the same time period.

In another thread, someone asked how long we should stay at an entry level company. Until you are good at what you do. In the thread about the trainer who cant figure out how to get his student to trip plan with something other than a GPS and open a map, I wouldn't have bothered. You can be the best trainer on planet earth, but if your student doesn't desire to bring his A-Game and is content with being average, leave him be and wish him well on living an average life.

Do you want to be "the average truck driver?" With average skills? And an average outlook? I wouldn't bother to get out of bed to be average.

6. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Best answer.

7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I spend half my day in reverse, after 21 yrs, one thing I've learned, never, ever, think you're perfect when it comes to backing.

I've had days where I couldn't back a 5' wide trailer through a 30' wide opening without hitting something, and I've had days where I can blindside back a 53' like it's nothing. Few months back, I had a 12 hr day in the city, bumped 9 docks, every one took at least 4 pull ups, and a couple took more, and one of those, I was the only truck amongst 30 doors, and I still took 5 tries to hit that door with a 53'.

8. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Its posts like this that helped me the most. They help to calm me when I’m in the midst of of an absolute train wreck back.

“Its not just me that has bad backing days. Experts have them sometimes as well”.

It also convinced me to practice using bad set ups. For example: I’ll pull to far away, or instead of skimming in front of trucks I’ll set up 6 feet in front. It helps me the most when you’ve got a hood at the dock and have to still get in. I also try to practice when I’m really tired or it’s dark. I get looks, or nice truckers trying to help... a lot more try to help then I thought would. I explain what I’m doing and they get it and let me be.

So thanks @striker your honesty helps me to be a better driver. Cheers to you.

striker and tolson Thank this.
  9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    People always tout the importance of a good setup. I don't agree. Many times you won't have the opertunity for a good setup and it isn't really that important anyway.

The "undesirable setups" are better to learn from in the long run. You learn the limits/borders of what is required better/faster than always taking the easy way.

Hammer166, striker and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    When you have to put it in tight between those two 379 Peterbilts all customized nice and shiny, you learn real fast how to carefully backup!
    Or trying to slip the tank in to that tight pipe rack in that refinery will also hone your backing skills!
    I have always thanked and appreciated the driver who has taken the time to spot me backing up in a tight spot.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Technology works fine, until it doesn’t.

When it fails, and it’s funny how it always seems to happen at most inopportune moments, then what do you do? You can’t go back to basics and break out the map because you either don’t have any or never learned that Paleozoic era technology.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.