how do you connect when on the road?

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by TSTONE, Sep 24, 2007.

1. TSTONE

TSTONE Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2007
    MICHIGAN
    do most truck stops have wifi?

2. kelgar50

kelgar50 Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Bakersfield,CA
    Don't even bother with wifi.Verizon air card $59 a month unlimited use.
    I have had there air card for 2 years wouldn't and don't leave home without it.I travel the 48 and some Canada never been without service.

3. TSTONE

TSTONE Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2007
    MICHIGAN
    good to know - thanx

4. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Most national chain truckstops do have WiFi and that's how I connect when on the road. The air cards are convenient, but in remote locations your connection rate is not much better than dial up. I would rather pay 20 bucks a month and have high speed connections all the time when I shut down at night, than 50-60 bucks a month and fight slow speeds for the convenience of connecting anywhere. The math doesn't add up right to me, but that's just me.

5. TSTONE

TSTONE Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2007
    MICHIGAN
    what do you mean 20.00?

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Wifi at truckstops are good if you only stop at the one chain.

However, I rarely spend the night at a truck stop. So Wifi at a truck stop is not very reliable to me. I have compared the air card and found the speed to be about the same especially with large numbers of users.

Also, the security of the privacy is also a concern and the air card is preferred.

7. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    That's what a monthly WiFi subscription costs.

8. TSTONE

TSTONE Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2007
    MICHIGAN
    sorry for sounding stupid - but i assume that is only good at particular truck stops?

9. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Siricomm is a company that provides WiFi at just about all Pilots, Petros, and Loves truck stops. Flying J has their own network too, which is available at just about all their truck stops as well as many other places. T/A also has their own network for their truck stops. A nice thing about T/A is they will allow you to buy WiFi time with your RoadKing card.

When I was 48 state, I had monthly accounts with both SiriCOMM and Flying J. It cost me about $41/month for both of them, and with the Roadking card deal at T/A, I was covered at about 85% of the truck stops nationwide.

10. TSTONE

TSTONE Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2007
    MICHIGAN
  • Draft saved Draft deleted