How do you determine a rate for the whole year?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by FlashBolt, Jan 9, 2018.

1. FlashBolt

FlashBolt Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I have a shipper who wants a set year round rate , how do you determine a rate that will work with the carrier and the shipper? What factors do i need to look at? How do i determine what the best rate will be?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZHill

ZHill Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I'd love to read an opinionated response to this one... Is this a troll thread?

Is your carrier running in a dedicated lane(s)? Is your carrier delivering the same type of freight, and are you connecting that carrier with loads from the same customer(s) in the lane(s) that your carrier does run? Are these back haul loads? What do you do if your customer's freight prices change? What do you do if fuel prices rise dramatically and your customer doesn't automatically adjust freight prices accordingly? Then your carrier is getting shortchanged after you take your share. Or do you plan on settling for less to make up for your carrier's loss because of crappy freight prices or high fuel costs?

Why on earth would a set rate be beneficial for either you or your carrier? --- I'd like to know. When there's less money for both the agent / brokerage and carrier to negotiate on, someone is going to get the short end of the stick. Will it be you or the carrier that wants to or is willing to take less money? If this is going to be a contractual agreement then I'm going to assume that you're setting yourself up to fail? --- Your carrier didn't give you an idea of what they expect to make per load? You're basically removing all future chances of negotiating rates with your carrier and maximizing your profits.

Break down the numbers... I say offer them $1.25 a mile. Keep the rest for yourself.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Order a crystal ball off Amazon.

Oldironfan and ZHill Thank this.
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Bid too high and you won't get the work. Bid too low and you get killed when the spot market spikes.

It can create a real conundrum...

I personally know guys who are leased onto a carrier I used to work for. The owner is locked into contract rates on the same lane.

Right now I am averaging $1500 (at least) more every week running the spot market on the same roundtrip they do. But they (the leasers) aren't reaping the uptick.

DOGSLIFE Thanks this.
  6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I think it is a good question, actually. Direct freight. This is when the fuel surcharge formulas come into play.

DOGSLIFE Thanks this.
  7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Surcharge Tables-Zipcodes- Freight Classes- LTL Weights and Breaks-
    Competitive market on local and 1-2 day regional (200 milers)

Flasbolt- You need to be a lil more specific with your question

8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I guess time is the main factor.
    What time of year it is?
    Is it rush hour near pickup or delivery?
    How many loads can you cover?
    Is the lane a high traffic lane?
    Is it expideted, overnight?
    How much deadhead? Or loaded at both ends?
    How much time are willing to donate for free?
    That sort of stuff.

9. FlashBolt

FlashBolt Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Ok so i have a shipper asking me to quote them on a load going from Freemont, IL to Waterloo, IA 5x a week where they will pick up a loaded trailer and then drop off and then pick up a empty one and bring it back to Freemont, IL to be loaded again. I want to know what would be an ideal rate to ask for? where both me and the carrier are making $$

10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    So starting in Fremont and ending in Fremont is what I'd think is the daily plan. So n3ar 500 miles per day. I'd say $2000 per loaded miles per day. To about $4 dollars per all miles. Which is about right for your situation.

11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Last year shipper would laugh at this quote,but this year things have changed...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.