How do you door slammers clear the roof?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ruthless, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    when it snows and you're not at a terminal with a roof blade, what do you do to clear the snow?
    I know it ain't everywhere; but it's $1000 ticket by me not to clear the roof on a cmv.
    What solutions have y'all come up with, outside of starting before daylight n hoping it all blows off?

Grubby, Oxbow, SAR and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    God put it there. Let God take it away.

TallJoe, Grubby, dc730 and 25 others Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You mean like when it turns to ice and starts blowing off at highway speed in chunks the size of table tops?

Who do you think will be civilly liable when one of those aforementioned chunks falls through somebody’s windshield with potentially tragic consequences?

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    We have one of these at our terminal.

Barring that, your options are drastically limited to a ladder and a stiff broom.

Lepton1, Oxbow, Crude Truckin' and 5 others Thank this.
  6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    lol, Ruthless....You know Darn well none of those slammers remove that snow,

First off,None of those drivers are going up there with a broom, Secondly Their Safety monsters wont let them.

When I pulled a van- I looked at it like this- Every motorist behinds me will save money on windshield washer fluid.

7. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    In that case, truck stops, shippers and receivers, with their own fleets should be required by law to have snow clearing equipment on site, to be used by any and all trucks which need it. The liability issue should also include that the driver shouldn't risk his/her life trying to do something which is beyond their ability to do.

Eowyn, Dan.S and Just passing by Thank this.
  8. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Almost have to LOL at this question since most drivers can’t be bothered to even thump their tires, let alone climb a ladder. I know you are sincere though asking it. Down here in the south, it will be gone in a few hours. Only one or two days of snow a year, typically a few inches at best. High tomorrow where I am going is 72.

9. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    That's Right- Foolish Laws by these states Yet Have no concern for a drivers safety.

I Get it, We don't want ice landing on cars........

10. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    It is all about timing, looking for that large spot in traffic so can get up to speed and let that snow free, then find bumps big so can break the ice sheets apart so they can fly. Once you leave them terminals with the equipment to remove that snow you are on your own, do truck stops have those for the drivers who are on break and it snowed 2 feet during that time?

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  11. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    I know that "pay services" are an evil term in this industry, but if a truckstop had a roof blade available for say.. $5.. I'd definitely use it for the safety advantage before heading out after an overnight storm of more than a dusting.
    It is an issue.
    But, I'm not crawling nearly 14' high onto an ice rink covering fiberglass to either fall through or off.

Feedman, stwik, DUNE-T and 8 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.