How do you feel about tarping tall loads?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Romeoecho, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Romeoecho

Romeoecho Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2015
    After two years of flatbed I've only had a couple 13ft+ loads that I've had to tarp without anything but a rickety ladder. One was bales of alfalfa. That was a blast to say the least in high winds. Another was insulation which at least I could secure first.

I think my next load is going to be bags of mulch or some such which, if it's like some of the loads I've seen, is going to be very tall. Naturally has to be tarped and I suspect this shipper won't have anything for tarping. Straps should probably go over tarps too like onions to hold it all together. Walking around on that unsecured seems less than ideal to me

This feels a bit unreasonable of an expectation to me. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of breaking my neck just for a job. I find it unlikely OSHA would be big fans of such a situation either. I get that this is generally part of the job but...

I have no problem using safety harnesses and such. The minor annoyance is worth it to me. I am aware a lot of people seem not to have any issues with this risk. Am i being unreasonable not feeling too comfortable with these loads?

Not sure if I'll refuse to haul will see how things look. I have refused to tarp 13'+ loads of snow/ice covered plastic pipe though. Company driver, forced dispatch but not scared to refuse if I have just cause. There are plenty of other companies I could get on with no issues.

Any thoughts, suggestions, anything?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    If they pay me to tarp it I tarp it. Don't care if its 6" off the deck or 15ft in the air.

My only requirement on excessively tall loads is that they have to put the tarp up there or drape it over with a crane.

While I do get the concern for falling I'm personally not too concerned about it. Though I am fairly young and smaller so climbing around on things isn't too hard for me.

The only thing I won't do is carry any tarp up a ladder. No way for me to safely carry 75+ lbs on my shoulder while climbing a ladder. Tried it once a while ago and nearly broke my back.

4. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I don't tarp high loads without a safety harness and I'm 6'1 190lbs very flexible but I also fell 13'. It only takes one fall to injured. No I don't live in fear. I still enjoy heights but for me it is foolish to play with my well being. My arm is not a 100 percent because of the fall. I still do flatbed. Be wise your body needs you to be.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I haven't tarped mulch but I have hauled it. It's taller than, say, super sacks, but nothing like a load of hay or insulation. I would certainly secure it and then tarp it. You shouldn't have to worry about it holding together, use v boards if needed to help secure it.

Just be careful when you have to move over the top of the tarps, you don't want to step in an empty space.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Tarping sucks. Let's not sugar coat it, but it's part of the job. I will say tarping beats the heck out of going hungry.

icsheeple, noluck, shoda and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    We tarp straw and hay on the regular, and we have an arrangement with all the farmers we pick up from that it comes back to our yard so we can use the fall arrest system and not have to tarp in the field. I would refuse to tarp something that high without fall protection.

I don't have any problems with heights (I do pulllups on the ceiling in our tarp shed when tarping straw), but I have a problem with falling and the sudden stop at the end of the fall. I can't afford to stop working.

Lepton1, cke, passingthru69 and 4 others Thank this.
  8. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Does anyone that complains about tarping a load here own a house? Who cleans your gutters? What happens when you have to trim a tree branch?

I guess I should get osha out when I have to get on my snow covered roof to clean my chimney right?

Cripes truck driving is one of the easiest most stress free jobs a guy can have. Lets not make it seem like there is this some big element of danger involved.

CharlieK, sawmill, cnsper and 10 others Thank this.
  9. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    Mulch is about 5 to 6 feet tall, at least the one time I Hauled it. I didn't have to tarp it though. I almost always had my securement under my tarps though. If I'm going to be walking on it I don't want it moving under me. For the really soft loads with lots of holes though I wouldn't walk on them. I carry a little giant type ladder that reaches 17 foot. It can be a pain going up and down and moving the ladder a bunch of times but it's better then falling.

What ever you do, be careful. Apparently one of our drivers fell off his trailer last week and broke his hip.

10. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I'll tarp stuff with holes and walk on it but I go very slowly and very carefully. Not interested in making that mistake.

cke and Chewy352 Thank this.
  11. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    We do cedar mulch out of Alberta as a backhaul fairly often and it goes down to the US. Those loads are just short of 14' tall total height. About the same height as straw. Drivers usually strap over the bundles (which are on pallets and tightly wrapped in plastic) then tarp.

fargonaz, cke and Chewy352 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.