How do you figure the value of a load?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by datnewnew, Jul 25, 2017.

1. datnewnew

datnewnew Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Just for the hell of it I've been browsing truckerpath load boards, and noticed that the variance of cpm for loads is huge. Are the prices given on load boards a 'starting bid' per se? Some are paying $2 per mile, while other loads (similar in distance) are $1 pm.

How do you calculate what you should charge? Or do you just charge a standard rate per mile regardless of the load?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    (Length x width x height x weight) + PITA factor (percentage basis) + fuel

snowwy Thanks this.
  4. datnewnew

datnewnew Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2017
    ok. i'll see myself out.

5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    It was a joke.

Honestly, I figure an honest rate based on how much of my time the load is gonna take. If it's an all day load, that's my daily rate (negotiations start at $1200-$1500 rate plus fuel depending on area)

If its a short load, rate reflects my banking on getting another short load in for the day.

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I don't see any connection between the value of the load and the rate for which it is pulled. That is not even in the scope of negotiation with a broker. Maybe the rates are better for loads that require higher insurance limits but generally most of the freight is covered by 100k limit and the assumption is that the value should not exceed it. The rate should reflect the nature of commodity (whether it is dirty or not, damage prone, how it smells, etc.) and its weight, but its value is irrelevant.

7. datnewnew

datnewnew Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Rate is the word I was looking for.

8. K Wopper906

K Wopper906 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Upper Michigan
    Knowing the cost per mile to run your truck be first part in figuring whether a load pays well or not. And the lane your running. And what commodities your hauling.

9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    For example, I can calculate that I want to take home home at least 600 a day then I should calculate how many days that trip will last, next add the fuel cost to it plus tolls and then average cost per mile times miles of the trip and I have my minimum desirable rate. But it is market that really dictates the rates in a given area and time. For instance, If I go to PA or FL rates there must be much higher, as the market there will supersede any outbound rates that one might desire.

10. riskpulse

riskpulse Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Do you factor nasty weather into this?

11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    There's a lot of variables that go into how a load gets priced. Take for example 2 loads coming from the same shipper. One of them a 500 mile haul into Florida. The other a 500 mile haul into Chicago.

The one to Florida will always be offered for a much higher rate. Usually double or even more than that versus what they will offer to Chicago. Florida is a dead reload area. A consumption market that produces nothing being shipped on trucks for most of the year.

Chicago is at the other end of the spectrum. They consume incoming loads and also produce many outgoing ones. Rates on reloads out of Chicago will always be 2 or 3 times more, sometimes even way more than that, than rates on reloads out of Florida.

Then there is the commodity or product to be considered. Is it time critical, do they need the shipment asap, or can they shop it for several days to snag the lowest rate? Truck availability imbalances. Are there too many trucks versus loads in a given area, or too few? What type of equipment is involved? How much time will it take? What type of customers are these - are they no nonsense load them up get them on the road quickly or do they waste a lot of time loading/unloading.

Loads to truck ratios is probably the biggest determining factor for tossing up anchor point posted rates on a public loadboard. Most of those other things, and more, are between the shipper/receiver or the broker and the carrier when they're trying to reach an agreement on the money to haul a load. So we're talking about two different things here really posted rates by people with freight needing a truck versus what truckers are thinking when they're trying to determine their happy rate to grab a load.

Something to always keep in mind is that a posted rate is meaningless. In a hurry up lets book that load now situation you can grab it and go for that price. But in a market like Florida they'll probably tell you they have another carrier on the line willing to do it for $100 less. In a hotter market like Chicago that posted rate might not get the load covered and the rate that does move it may be 2, 3,4 times or more higher.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    riskpulse Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.