How do you find the fake brokers

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by dhout, Jul 13, 2012.

1. dhout

dhout Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Everywhere but Coumbus, OH
    I heard about them. How do you spot them? I saw a load, said truck blew engine its over a KW. Need you to finish it across town. Offered lumper fee up front. If I ask for half then cash check to make sure it don't bounce. It would pay for the miles then some.
    So basically you've got the cash before delivering. Its a good broker?

What should you look out for to spot the fakes?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Minder Kat

Minder Kat Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Brush, CO
  4. Mr. PlumCrazy

Mr. PlumCrazy Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Lexington NC
    Baxter Bailey & Associates I get an e-mail from these folks every so often with a list of non paying, Scammers and double brokering brokers

5. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
  6. ralph

ralph Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2009
    At The Key Board
    When you apply for credit do you list the people you pay or the people you screw?

By the time you wait for ALL the negatives to show on someone's credit report they're already unside down and have flown the coop. You need to be far more proactive than just doing a credit check.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  7. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Well I have never screwed no one, but credit checks are a good start. No way for sure to insulate yourself.

8. Diamond-T

Diamond-T Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2009
    s.coffeyville ,ok
    We use TBS. they have an automatice credit check. when u enter in their MC number. they will tell u within 30 seconds weather a broker has a good or bad trac record. if it pops up AUTOMATICALLY DENIED. its a good idea to NOT pull freight for that broker and remember them

9. twinturbotrans

twinturbotrans Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2008
    NW
    We use Compunet also knows as 1st Advantage Credit Reporting Agency.....$600/year is their fee plus roughly $8 per credit report that you want to pull on the broker/carrier/shipper......they also have what they call monthly bulletin which is as big as bible and it has all crooked shippers/brokers that have been reported by other carrier companies for nonpayment. You can also do a free nonpayment report on any broker/shipper just by going to their website I usually use that option if we don't receive payment within 60days that way that crooked broker/shipper will receive a letter from Compunet stating that they have been reported and 90% of the time they will cut the check after receiving that kind of letter. Once you sign up with them they will get you a Gold Book as well which includes all 3pl companies that pay within 30days.

Ukumfe Thanks this.
  10. twinturbotrans

Feb 20, 2008
    NW
    I had some really bad experiences with Baxter Bailey and I think I am not the only one if you just Google them theres few ripoff reports....About a year ago or so we placed one of the shippers for collection and we hired Baxter & Bailey company to recover freight cost. The freight bill was for $7300...and I paid Baxter company $1500 to start collection process. The account was past due 95days at that time and after speaking with Baxter company they assured me 100% that they can recover 100% of the bill. So after about another 90days Baxter tells me they are unable to recover any money at all from that shipper saying that they filed for bankruptcy and there is nothing they can do. So I lost my $1500 but I didn't give up on recovering that freight bill so I hired Roma Murphy & Sons another collection agency from CO. They were able to recover my $7300 in less than 2 weeks from that same shipper and according to Roma Murphy investigator he told me that shipper paid the freight bill to Baxter, so the Baxter never aknowledged that they recovered my money so now that shipper is sueing Baxter company after he paid that freight bill twice! Point of the whole story: pay your bills on time or you might have to pay it twice...lol but yea try google Baxter company and theres all sorts of scammer reports on those guys, i'd stay away.

11. twinturbotrans

Feb 20, 2008
    NW
    I had some really bad experiences with Baxter Bailey and I think I am not the only one if you just Google them theres few ripoff reports....About a year ago or so we placed one of the shippers for collection and we hired Baxter & Bailey company to recover freight cost. The freight bill was for $7300...and I paid Baxter company $1500 to start collection process. The account was past due 95days at that time and after speaking with Baxter company they assured me 100% that they can recover 100% of the bill. So after about another 90days Baxter tells me they are unable to recover any money at all from that shipper saying that they filed for bankruptcy and there is nothing they can do. So I lost my $1500 but I didn't give up on recovering that freight bill so I hired Roma Murphy & Sons another collection agency from CO. They were able to recover my $7300 in less than 2 weeks from that same shipper and according to Roma Murphy investigator he told me that shipper paid the freight bill to Baxter, so the Baxter never aknowledged that they recovered my money so now that shipper is sueing Baxter company after he paid that freight bill twice! Point of the whole story: pay your bills on time or you might have to pay it twice...lol but yea try google Baxter company and theres all sorts of scammer reports on those guys, i'd stay away.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.