How do you get a CB "handle"? And CB slang questions

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by newtruckerwife84, Mar 24, 2013.

1. newtruckerwife84

newtruckerwife84 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    O Kean, Arkansas
    So since I am new to this world of trucking I was wondering, is there a formal process for getting a new handle for when you talk on a CB? A registration of some sort so no two people have the same handle, or is it just whatever name you use for yourself on it? What are all the terms/slang used and what do they mean?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheOriginalSmooth

TheOriginalSmooth Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Wentzville, MO
    No there is no formal registration for CB handles and there are many duplicate names out there. In my opinion the best CB Handle is the one given to you by somebody else. Many people give themselves a handle I dislike that very much, those are easy to pick out if someone is called Bass Master you can bet dollars to doughnuts he named himself. As far as the slang or CB Lingo you speak of there is a lot of arguing about that as well. Ofcourse a "Bear" is a Cop but there are many different kinds of bears you will get the hang of it. Do you have any questions that come to mind.

QuietStorm and Drac1985 Thank this.
  4. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    "Bear" is from Smokey Bear because the hat looks like Smokey The Bear's hat.

Now I guess I need to explain who Smokey The Bear was. Google it.

Tijuana Taxis, Bubble Gum Machines, Hair Dryers, even the lingo from the 70s is extinct.

5. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    CB handles are made up by the individual. Usually the handle has something to do with the person. However CB handles are also 1970's. Do a google search for CB slang and you'll spend hours educating yourself on the meanings.

Drac1985 Thanks this.
  6. newtruckerwife84

newtruckerwife84 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    O Kean, Arkansas
    Lol Turbo T I just wanted to say, I laugh every time I see your signature at the bottom of your posts!:biggrin_2559:

7. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Rumor has it that the government is going to make you register them and pay a fee to use them. :biggrin_25523:

8. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    I'm selling reconditioned CB handles,thousands to choose from.
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

Drac1985, Lilbit and 48Packard Thank this.
  9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    When CB's first came out in the 70's registration and licensing were required . Within a few years CB's became so popular FCC couldn't keep up with the applications and dropped the requirement .
    I almost never here a driver using a handle . They usually just address each other using the carrier name or color and make of the truck . Sometimes they talk to the truck . "You missed me , Big Truck ."

Blaskowitz, Drac1985 and 48Packard Thank this.
  10. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I remember well. My buddy (non-trucker) got a CB during the CB craze, and his call was something like KAAB 6723.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  11. CbarM

CbarM Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Irvine, AB
    What about the idiot on Sirius doin a plug for Mobile Delvac....the Carolina Monkey Gouger....lol...what a ######

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.