How do you get a job at a power company that runs single and tandem axle trucks?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Ddr1992 579, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Ddr1992 579

Ddr1992 579 Medium Load Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I've looked it up and can't find any info saying whats needed as far as work experience needed, license requirements and if they allow take home trucks because most are on call 24/7... any help would be appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    For starters you need to tell us what state you’re in, & what power company you’re interested in. Most likely just keep checking the local help wanted ads & their company website. Most if not all “electric” company’s are going to be union & tuff to get into if you don’t know someone.

also for them the truck is nothing but a tool. You’ll drive to a job site, work all day, & drive back home. You’re not applying for a truck driving job, you’re applying for a job in a trade that utilizes trucks.

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I would put money on it that you have to go through lineman school, and then you have to try to actually get a job in it.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You have go to power Lineman school or trade school. Then you get CDL also and your good to go. Basically they Lineman with CDLs so they can drive the truck to the job.

6. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    You have to listen to old Glen every night when you go to bed.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  7. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    If you’re not already a lineman, I don’t think they’d be interested. But they do have training programs.

As far as taking a truck home, unlikely unless you are a lineman.

Just call the HR department at any local power company, they’ll tell you what the straight story is.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I used to protect linemen as a flagger during storms and other situations.

We always start our day at the power company's substation office, yard staging area where everything is on hand to fight the war on getting power back somewhere that day. They always drive the personal cars to that substation where the associated trucks and so on are kept.

Linemen are well paid but they take really serious risks. I have never to this day seen a lineman bucket truck or any power company truck at a home overnight. They are always at the yard READY to be manned at a moment's notice 24/7

YOU commute home in the personal car.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.