How do you get dump truck or heavy haul experience?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by king v, Jan 22, 2018.

1. king v

king v Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Local companies in different areas always want 5 years experience. Ive been otr for 10 years. Van, flatbed and got to do a couple of heavies with a super trailer a handful of times. So why 5 years experience and how do I go about getting that experience? Also any companies that will train you for heavy or oversized? I ran for Lily of west virginia for 2 weeks (heavy haul) and I was let go after being attacked by another driver.

Any suggestions? I like going out to the midwest, Texas as well and AZ and NM are cool too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    The only way I know is to find a local contractor and go to work for them.

If you have tractor trailer experience and flatbed experience, you should be able to find someone that would let you run their low bed and if they need a dump truck driver they probably will use you for that also.

Many local contractors are short-handed and they can flip you from one to the other. From the lowbed experience you can then move further into heavy haul.

If Chinatown jumps in he'll let you know if there are any Heavy Haul places that will train you if you have flatbed experience.

king v Thanks this.
  4. king v

king v Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2015

Can you tag or link him?

5. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Lepton1, king v and Sirscrapntruckalot Thank this.
  6. BigBob410

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    I've heard Guy Turner out of NC will train. I spoke with a few of their drivers. I don't know if they were going to train me because I have Crane Operator experience or if they do alot of training. Last driver I spoke with was on his way back from Texas. Worth a call though.

king v Thanks this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    There should be a local aggregate hauler outfit somewhere nearby that will hire experienced drivers and train for end dump. I did it in the north of Dallas area 10 years ago when I decided to quit regional flatbed and try something closer to a "regular day job"

IluvCATS and king v Thank this.
  8. king v

king v Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2015
    I live in GA and they all want 5 years experience. Other than that there are bs construction supply companies run by kakhi wearin soft handed d-bags and pay little above minimum wage.

9. BigBob410

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Any big crane companies or steel Erectors in your area. Sometimes that's a good start also. I did a good bit of H/W/H at the crane company I worked for but they're in MD.

Lepton1 and king v Thank this.
  10. king v

king v Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Anyone youd recommend i contact? I do have a friend in MD that could show me around.

11. BigBob410

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    I worked for a company called Digging & Rigging. Takes a while with them. I would give Guy Turner a ring first. They are a crane and heavy haul company in NC. Also you could check into Buckner crane. They are also in NC and I hear they are looking for drivers. They rent and move a lot of crawler cranes.

king v Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.